SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyls_gw

new in zone 7b

karyls
14 years ago

so after spending a few weeks reading through this forum, following links, reading some more I have started my first winter sowing containers. Thanks for all of the posted info, I haven't any questions (yet) as it seems they've all been asked.

I have spreadsheets with germination requirements, ordered seeds from suppliers recommended here, neighbors saving milk jugs, seeds organized by germination needs, tagging items and even a soldering iron to poke drain holes in plastic.

Yesterday I seeded 25 milk jugs with a slew more to do over the next few weeks. They are in a protected area with decent mid-day sun, not too much...Of course while implementing my well studied winter sowing strategy I got beginners angst - do I have enough drainage holes? Are my containers too venty? I used the twist tie method due to hot spells we get so would be a lot of covering & uncovering. I decided to stop over thinking. Most of the plants I have selected are easy to grow natives so there shouldn't be problems.

But I did want to say thanks for all of the info. Even the seed types I was looking at seem to have been mentioned someplace - it changed my sowing order, talked me out of things and talked me into things. I'm having a blast.

Comments (10)

Sponsored