SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ferretbee

importance of timing and dtm for ws tomatos?

ferretbee
14 years ago

This will be my first year starting tomatoes from seed. I'll be trying out both indoor and winter sowing. I've got a pretty good handle on the basics of WS, but I'm uncertain as to the importance of timing. At first I thought it was OK to WS any time after the solstice, but I've seen some posts that indicate I should wait until Feb or March for plants like tomatoes. I've also read posts that indicate I should stick to short DTM varieties for WS, but others in similar zones that seem to indicate it's OK to WS the longer DTM varieties.

I'm planning for about 2 dozen OP and Hybrid plants with a variety of DTM and fruit sizes. Many will be in homemade Self Watering Containers. Last year, I had my first store-bought tomato transplants outside in SWCs by mid to late March (which is crazy early for around here).

It seems like indoor sown would be the best method for getting the earliest fruit possible, but that WS plants might perform better the rest of the season.

One of my March transplants was a Roma determinate in an 18gal SWC that reached 7ft. I dragged it inside when it got cold and it kept producing until Thanksgiving.

So to recap:

- Do I need to stick with short DTM varieties for WS in my zone?

- Can I WS tomatoes now, or should I wait?

- Will WS plants take longer to produce than indoor sown, or is it just the fact that WS will germinate later so naturally the DTM is different?

Thanks for your help, especially to Trudi for wintersown.org.

Comment (1)

Sponsored