SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Butterflies and Rain

MissSherry
16 years ago

Although we're not as dry as Florida or Georgia, we've been having lower than normal rainfall, so I was glad to get .80" of slow falling rain yesterday, and 1.00" in a brief but very heavy thunderstorm a little while ago. I can hear thunder off in the distance, and it's starting to rain again, so it looks like I'll be getting more - YAY!!

Before the thunderstorm, I released a giant swallowtail, and after the storm, I released the last red admiral. I made a few pictures of butterflies after the big rain - I've noticed that they're less flighty after rain, probably because they're solar powered and can't get much power! :) I got a picture of this American lady - I just noticed there's cudweed growing where she? landed - more AL cats?

{{gwi:474348}}
I hadn't seen any checkered skippers all year, until recently - about a week ago, I started seeing LOTS of them. I've let a big patch of sida/fan petals/wire weed grow that came up right in front of my front porch steps - whatever you call it, it's a wild member of the mallow family that all the checkered skippers reportedly lay their eggs on. I prefer the name fan petals, because the cute little yellow flowers unfurl their petals like a ladies fan. I'd like to see some cats! I got a picture of this one, which I'm sure is a male because of all the fuzzy blueness on the top of his body. I'm not sure if he's a common checkered skipper or a tropical checkered skipper - both occur here, and part of his forewing looks like the common and part looks like the tropical -

{{gwi:474349}}
MissSherry

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH