SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Palamedes Swallowtail and Giant Swallowtail Eggs

MissSherry
14 years ago

I released my first palamedes swallowtail of the year (not overwintered) today - he was a smallish but beautifully formed male. I got his picture before he left the cage, but it's very poor, and I couldn't find him to make another one after he'd left - he really flew fast!

Two more American ladies and one more giant swallowtail have emerged today, also. I'll be releasing them soon, unless it starts raining again - the sun is popping in and out for now.

Giant swallowtail eggs are being laid today for the second set of the season, undoubtedly from females I've recently released. They're laying them on the orange tree and the rue bushes - they've shunned the Ptelea trifoliata this year, odd, because it's usually their favorite. I got this picture of one of the eggs -

{{gwi:473458}}
I got a short video of a female giant swallowtail nectaring on lantana between eggs - there were two of them in my garden when I took this, and they got into a brief giant swallowtail "upward spiral wing slap" - they may both be laying eggs and want to claim the territory! If you turn up the volume on your computer speaker, you can probably here an owl in the background. There are at least one, probably two, owls that are probably around White Pond, a BIG pond within owl-hooting earshot of here. This owl hoots all the time in the daytime - don't they do this at night? Today I heard what sounded like another owl returning the "hoot" - maybe it's been looking for a mate and finally found one!

{{gwi:473459}}

MissSherry

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH