SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Red Admirals

MissSherry
15 years ago

I released my first red admiral/Vanessa atalanta a few hours ago. I tried to get a picture of her, but she flew out of the cage too fast. I say "her" because she was a big one - the only side-by-side male/female pictures I've got of them are in my Florida Butterfly Gardening book, and the female in the picture is much bigger than the male.

I've been experiencing a problem with parasitization of my cats. I'll see the top of a false nettle plant with leaves matted over like there's an early instar cat inside, I peek in and indeed there is one, I cut off the whole stem and take it inside to raise myself, then don't see any frass coming from the nest. So I peek inside again, and there's a tiny little white cocoon looking thing, with the dead red admiral hatchling next to it. So I'm trying to figure out what they are - tiny moths whose cats kill the red admiral cats? Some moth or other critter that parasitizes the egg? I need to make a study of this, put one of the cocoons in a container and see what emerges, but I've been so mad at them, I just squish 'em! I've tried to research it on the internet but can't find a thing. I saw the tiny cat a few times, and they look more like a worm than a caterpillar. Needless to say, all the leaves I put in the water picks gets washed thoroughly with my kitchen sink sprayer before they go in the cage for the red admirals to eat!

Still, I've managed to get 10 unparasatized cats that are eating and pooping unmolested in a cage on my porch. I got a picture of one of the cats when I was adding more food -

{{gwi:472661}}
Maybe I can get a picture of my next release.

Sherry

Comments (20)

Sponsored