SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Giant Swallowtail Eggs!

MissSherry
11 years ago

Today while I was out in the midday heat working in my garden - didn't stay too long - a giant swallowtail appeared and laid eggs on one of my hops trees! I counted 4 eggs on that one, and she continued to lay eggs on leaves on my orange tree. I wish she had used my other, bigger hops tree and/or my many rue plants, because the orange tree is the only GST host plant that's NOT had a good record in raising caterpillars to maturity. So, I plan on cutting off the leaves they're on - some are even old, thick leaves - and transferring the caterpillars to rue, which they thrive on. Unfortunately, a cardinal has made a nest in the orange tree, and her eggs have hatched - the peeps are so high pitched, they must have just hatched yesterday. I hate to get so close to the cardinal babies and scare their Mom, but I can't let these eggs go to waste, since giant swallowtails are so rare this year. Every egg counts! And there are jillions of cardinals here - babies have already been born this spring, and they're getting their adult coloring already, so they're continuing to reproduce at a high rate. Not that I think the Mom will abandon the nest - I'll stay as far away from the nest as possible.

I didn't make a picture of the giant swallowtail, because I was afraid I'd scare her off. My experience with giants has been that they lay a few eggs each day, usually about 8 - 10, in the middle of the day, regardless of the heat. They're gluttons for punishment! They usually do this for about 4-7 days in a row before they're through.

I'll soon be cleaning the big cage for them - 'don't want any wasps or stinkbugs killing the caterpillars!

Sherry

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County