SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windyrr2

which amaryllis can be propagated?

windyrr2
17 years ago

Can anyone tell me which amaryllis can be propagated successfully?

I'll name some that I have. Apple Blossom, Red Lion. Exotic Star, Christmas Gift. Wedding Dance. Minerva, Red Lion. Susan. Blushing Bride, Carnival, Clown. Picotee, Aphrodite, Rilona and Solomon, Orange Sovereign and Cybister Ruby Meyer.

I was able to propagate Apple Blossom on it's own pollen last year and it grew a nice fat seed pod, then it just shriveled up. Then I bought 10 seeds of supposedly Apple Blossom from ebay and they never germinated.

Now I just read that Apple Blossom usually aborts it's

seed pod and if it does give seeds, they are almost always sterile.

I did successfully propagate some no name amaryllis this past late spring. I took a little paint brush and took pollen from one amaryllis flower and transferred it to the twin flower on the same stalk. They developed seed pods and I let the pod alone until it started to look kind of dry and start to crack, then I ahrvested it and planted them. More then half germinated. So, that wasn't too bad for a beginner I guess.

I didn't try to cross pollinate different amaryllis with each other, as at the time I only had a few and they didn't flower at the same time.

I just pollinated my Minerva with itself and also my Red Lion and Exotic Star.

I'm trying to figure out if I cross pollinate different types with each other, which two would make a good color combination.

Also as I recall I couldn't see how to pollinate the Aphrodite. I didn't see the antlers on it, or whatever you call it that you place the pollen on.

I was able to find it on the others.

I'm going to watch it when it blooms this year and see if I see the antlers on it.

But it would help if anyone knew what amaryllis can be successfully pollinated, even if it's not one that's named on my list.

Thanks, I've learned a lot on this forum in the few days I have asked questions. If I am very fond of a plant, I like to learn everything that is pertinent about it.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
More Discussions