SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Huernia/Stapelia Question....True Identity

aveo5
12 years ago

Well I have 2 Huernias in bloom right now. I finally have found one I was looking for, but have seen it under many names. I bought it as Huernia Keniensis 'Lake Barad', and as Huernia/stapelia 'Pendula'. The flower is what I wanted on both! It is maroon and totally covered in 'teeth' or whatever the name is for the pointy bumps in the blooms. The petals on them,fold back, and make it look like a maroon furry nickel. I love it, and of course the wonderful rotten smell. They are identical in blooms and growth shape.

But what is its name. Which could be more likely its name? I cant post pics. they never show up. They stems are the pointed smooth stems of most 'Keniensis type' huernias,the flowers are nickel sized, maroon,and point downwards, and look like furry nickels once the petals fold back. Usually the second day they are open.

So..is 'Pendula' or this 'Lake Barad' one the real name for a Huernia with that kind of bloom. It is like a 'Hystrix' bloom, that many pointy teeth on the bloom,but solid maroon.

Comments (13)