SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephs04_gw

New to Butterflies and Gardening!

stephs04
14 years ago

Hi There! You'll have to forgive my ignorance on just about everything related to my subject...I am brand new to gardening and to butterflies, but I'm so excited I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

About a week ago, I visited the botanical gardens here and decided I had to have a butterfly garden. I went out that day and bought a passion vine, 2 pentas (yellow and purple), 2 milkweeds and a butterfly bush. I'm making it a container garden for now because we're hoping to move soon. Well, just as soon as I got them out there the butteflies appeared. I have 6 caterpillars on my passion vine (I think I've figured out they are Gulf Fritillary butterfly because they are orange with black spikes). About 2 days ago I notice a TON...like over 15 little white little eggs on my Milkweeds and one has already turned to a caterpillar. I'm so EXCITED!

So, I guess I probably have a million questions, but what I'm hoping for is something that can help me be sure I'm taking care of my plants correctly...watering, pruning (especially how to I have no idea what I'm doing), amount of sun, feeding, etc so my butterflies will thrive. From what I understand all of the plants I got like full sun, but I'm noticing at the end of every day that my milkweeds and butterfly bush look a bit wilted. I feel like I'm watering them everyday and I worry that that is too much, but it seems to perk them right up. I haven't done much with my passion vine other than add a new trelis and help it along there and the pentas seem to be taking care of themselves.

So, this is a ton of information and probably too much, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction about caring for my plants (and butterflies) as my online research has left me frustrated! Thank you so much to anyone who can push me in the right direction!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions