SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edie_h

Still wondering what not-Lagoon's real name is

Edie
10 years ago

Did anyone who bought Lagoon last year and got a pink with white star instead, figure out what the substitution is?

Mine is reblooming now. Two scapes up at once, with four buds per scape. There's a pair of open blooms on the first scape, and two buds on the second look ready to open tomorrow. I didn't attempt to induce dormancy, just let the bulb keep growing leaves, and yet I'm getting wonderful mid-December blooms. I'm thrilled. I'd like to know what this magic self-scheduling variety is so I can recommend it to others. It irks me that the tag still says "pink w/white star."

First I thought maybe it's Susan, lots of people got that one when they were expecting something else. But there's no red eye. The pink is rich, bright and slightly coral-tinted. The white star feathers into pale pink streaks that continue all the way out to the tips. The stigma is white at the center of the flower and changes to pink when it gets to the pink border. Flower diameter is 7." Exposure perhaps, or Royal Dutch, or Vera, or Wonderland... Maybe it's an un-named "garden amaryllis." I know there are lots of pinks out there. I've been looking online, trying to solve this mystery, and keep finding more possible candidates the longer I look.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions