SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
journorchid

Pups & Brown Spike on Guz.

journorchid
16 years ago

Folks:

I know that answers to this question are scattered all over the place, but after a couple hours of reading I still don't know quite what to do in my peculiar situation:

I have a Guz. bromeliad I bought at a reputable garden center about six months ago. At the time, I identified it as a Guzmania but can't remember which cultivar it is. In any case, the plant has thrived -- started producing pups fairly early and maintained its red center until recently.

Now, all of a sudden, the spike has gone brown and crispy on me. The pups are about 4" tall (plant is about 14") and seem relatively healthy. I am generally inclined to leave them attached and let nature take its course, but I want to make sure the brown/crispy thing is normal.

As for care:

I water the cup when it is nearly dry, and the medium every few weeks, generally keeping it slightly moist. Keep the plant in strong but not direct afternoon light.

I have an inkling that maybe firing up the air conditioner has something to do with the current situation. Thoughts?

In general, I'm fine with the end of the bloom cycle; I just want to make sure I'm doing right by the plant so that its four pups will thrive in the long term

Thanks very much for your expertise.

Dan

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County