SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernergrrl

OMG! Baltimore Checkerspot cat (Euphydryas phaeton)

bernergrrl
15 years ago

I cannot believe it! I was out walking the perimeter of my "meadow," and I saw something that looked like a cat on some plant (I'll need to ID it). I went up to it, and it was a beautiful Baltmiore Checkespot cat (or could it be a Harris' (Chlosyne harrisii)?

I have turtlehead planted (chelone glabra)but have never seen eggs or cats or adults around here. Admittedly, I was a little fatalistic thinking they would never come here, but look what happened! I've had the stuff planted for years.

According to David Wagner of Caterpillars of Eastern North America, the adults oviposit on chelone but then the larva migrate to other plants to eat. I guess this little guy overwintered too. I'm out to go find more!

Can anyone ID the plant it's on? Wagner says they eat plantain, yellow foxglove, honeysuckle, lousewort, and viburnum. Doesn't look like plantain, honeysuckle, or viburnum. It's a tallish plant, about 2 feet right now. I will have plenty to feed to rear this fella.

Oooo, I am so happy right now and feel so vindicated about not mowing parts of my yard!!!!!

{{gwi:470006}}

{{gwi:470007}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored