SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Anybody Want Any Tobacco Hornworm Eggs?

MissSherry
16 years ago

At least I assume that's what they are - tobacco hornworms really should have been called tomato hornworms. I found them all over the tops of my tomato plants this morning - the way these hornworms devour leaves and green tomatoes, I won't have any tomatoes to eat. They must have been laid last night, which gives them some time before they hatch. I'll be happy to send anybody as many of these eggs as they want, free of charge!

{{gwi:459662}}
I'm going to look it up, and if I find out these eggs are anything other than tobacco hornworms/Carolina sphinxes, I'll let you know.

An observation I made recently - I found a late instar giant swallowtail caterpillar on the top of the cage in the "C" position, pupating. I looked and looked for the messy spot on the bottom of the cage where it had emptied its bowels, but couldn't find it. The cat was very loosely attached - if you just touched the cage, it would wobble back and forth. Anyway, yesterday when I was checking my cats, I found it on the bottom of the cage, a chrysalis with the old skin still attached and a big brown bubble on it where stuff was leaking out - there was liquid on the paper towel around it, so obviously it was a goner. I think this cat was doomed from the moment it pupated without first cleaning itself - this must be an important part of the process. I don't know what you can do about it other than give it some Milk of Magnesia. :) Or maybe you could plant your orange tree in a commode like Lisa? :)

I forgot to mention that I've already found tersa sphinx cats on my pentas - they got started pretty early!

MissSherry

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County