SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tommysmommy_gw

OT: blue passionflower

tommysmommy
15 years ago

Well since you all liked the red so much, I thought I'd post a picture of the blue one. This is an old photo, right now the blue only has buds. Also, I'm practicing posting thumbnails (: Thanks to Theresa!

{{gwi:459950}}

Comments (55)

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

The passies are beautiful. Do they grow fast in the spring/summer. I have some cuttings from Karyn. I lost a lot of them but the 4 that did root are doing fine, but they don't seem to be growing. Any tips?
    Shawn

• karyn1
    15 years ago

That's not a P. caerulea. Like KHT and SJN said it's a Lavender Lady, Amethyst or one of their hybrids. The vitifolia you posted is pretty too.

• Related Discussions

OT: passionflower

Q

Comments (5)
    Will, Did it bloom during the summer, or does it have buds on it? It should continue for a while I would think, if so. This is the first year I didn't cut them back to sticks when I took them in because we had such a crummy summer. My red one just started blooming in the past month and I can't bear to miss the flowers. I will say this, in March each year they started to grow like gangbusters and even set buds and bloomed before I got them outside. So maybe if you have to wait, it won't be till next summer. I use an east facing window. Cassie, It's passiflora coccinea according to the tag. I love the shade of red, it's so pure and brilliant. Diane
    ...See More

OT- light therapy for our winter blues? SAD

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for your response. I think I will get one. I've read lots of reviews on different sights and it seems to make sense...I'm outside from Spring until mid Fall and then POOF! nothing (dark!). I'm willing to try anything without drugs if it will help some. I asked a friend of mine if he'd ever heard of it and he said that his Mom's friend lives in a cabin by herself most of the year and a doctor prescreibed it for her and she seems to think it helps her. Worth a try. Nothing to lose!
    ...See More

OTS The blue birds are back!

Q

Comments (0)
    The red breasted bluebirds are back! It seems way too early for them to be here. They stay until spring. Hubby also saw a yellow breasted bird. Sorry no photo. We never did figure out what they were. We are from up north. They kinda look like gold finches, but not as much yellow.
    ...See More

(OT) Blue Iris ID?

Q

Comments (1)
    Still in the wrong forum.....
    ...See More
  • givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Don't know names but do know it is a beauty!

Thanks

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

pagrdnr, Passifloras are pure sun and heat lovers. They can grow upwards of 35 feet in one growing season if given the right conditions. They will only bloom on new growth.
    We used to have 36 varieties but cut that down to 6 after last year. Here is a friends site for everyone to enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll Exotic Plants

• taz56
    15 years ago

Pretty, I love passions flowers to!
    Susan

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Very pretty I know some seeds came thru the Tropical RR but dont know the names or who received them in the lottery yet. Thanks for the pics...I really do like them flowers and the hummers love them. Nothing better than that. Barb

• karyn1
    15 years ago

KHT are you friends with Elizabeth? She has one of the best passie nurseries. Well over half my passie collection is (was) plants that I bought from her. A passie lovers dreamland is Strybing Arboretum in SF, CA. It's even better if you go during one of their sales. lol It's too bad I can't take plants on a plane. If you are in So FL, Butterfly World has a nice selection of passies. I'm pretty sure I lost a number of my passies when the GH froze but like the brugs I'll have to wait and see what, if anything, comes back from the roots.

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ouch! Gee I just wanted to share the delight I felt in having something pretty blooming indoors when outside itÂs still the dead of winter here in zone 5. Sorry for offending the passiflora experts with my pedestrian mislabeled varieties.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

No need to apologize, they were just expressing opinions on the varieties. There are so many different types, even the experts can get confused. Your photos are beautiful! Please don't let anyone discourage you from posting more.

Ryan

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Love your passionflower!!!
    Beautiful color. Its wonderful to have things, anything blooming this time of the year!
    Have have a couple outside waiting for spring to come up. Not near as pretty. But I like 'em
    Don't worry about things being mislabled just post the pictures. ;)
    Hugs
    Dorothy

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Karyn OUR Elizaeth? What do you mean...can not take plants on the plane? Do not distroy all my dreams of bringing back a lot from the florida visit :-) Well I guess I just have to mail them then lol Already told my daughter that we HAVE to find time to go to at least ONE nursery and not just Disney lol

tommymommy...Diane?...I agree. No need to apologize. I have to label all my plants or look them up in my saved label book lol. Everytime a new member shows up I wish I could stick a label on them too lol.

Lucy

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Goodmorning!

I brought a carry on full of plants when I came back from California flying and yes they went thru the scanner and they were allowed. I would have been upset. I had my catucs cuttings going four generations back in the family. Tommymom Karyn and Karma are what I myself comsider to be some of our plant experts here. They teach us alot and they just want to make sure we all know what we are doing. LOL If you ever need help on a plant they are so generous to help us out. Welcome once again....Barb

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Tommysmommy nobody was offended. We just thought that you'd like the correct ID on your plant. I'm as crazy about passies as I am about brugs. I have to admit to a number of plant obsessions. lol

Lucy not the Elizabeth that posts here but the one that owns Grassy Knolls. It's an excellent passiflora nursery and her prices are very reasonable. Zone 9 Tropicals also sells big healthy passies. You should have seen the size of the Crimson Tears that Bob shipped me last season.

No more plants on the plane. I'm going to FL next week and wanted to drive just so I could do some shopping but we're flying. I'm going to see if I can get some new passies at Butterfly World and ship them ahead. They sell seeds online but not plants.

http://www.zone9tropicals.com/passion-flowers-c-30.html

http://www.butterflyworld.com/start.html

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Thanks Barb and Karyn. No I got a yes and a no lol. I think I go with shipping. Since I am sure Maddy will go wild at Disney World rofl

Karyn in case I forget and in case we think you are MIA and might be sick...just remind us when you go pretty please lol AND...have a great time there!!!

Lucy

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

My passion vine apparently didn't want to be outdone, it opened its first bud of the year this morning. Not sure of the variety. Whatever it is, I like it.

{{gwi:384710}}

Ryan

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I do too! What a thrill to have flowers in February. Are yours outside or in?

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

tommysmommy, first we all know just how bad nurseries are with their labels and the goals of selling not doing what is in the best interest. They even hire folks that have less knowledge, which scares some of us! I didn't mean to step on toes but it's best to look up items that you purchase just to make sure what you buy is right? In this case you now can go back to them and say, what?? P. Cearulea is hardy in your area so one would think that is what they would be smart to sell there?? Again sorry.
    rosepedal, come closer to the screen so Ii can thump you on the head, please!! Excuse me, I'm no expert!! I'm on the bottom of that learning curve. ; )
    karyn1, Eliz has been here a couple times and I have been to her place. We shared the same passion and many of my plants have come from her collections. She is one of those people that is priceless with all the information she has stored in her head. I'm glad to hear others have found her too! If you ever get the chance to hear this lady talk, do go to listen!
    phoenixryan, nice bloomer! We have so many in the greenhouse that between those and the Clemmies and corkscrew vines it would be totally full so we opted this
    year to keep them all cut back. This too will make it easy to move them out in another month. We only allow the smaller Clemmies to grow, three have bloomed but not as impressive as they do outside. So we will be cutting them back and in hopes to get more cuttings. Remember these only bloom on new growth, so hack away!

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

oh that hurt karma... :)Lol Barb

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So I'm hearing there actually is a passionflower vine that would survive to -20 degrees? Because that's what we can get every few years. More common is a few weeks of just below zero. Our winter currently has been mild, so we know we're in for a bunch of snow in March, just when everything wants to start blooming. Sigh. I will have to look up the hardy varieties, it would be fun to have. Apology accepted (:

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Mine bloomed outside. It grows up a metal light post next to the bridge over my pond, so I think the black metal helps hold in some heat during the day. This particular variety seems to be pretty hardy to light freezes and frosts. I've never had any winter damage to it yet. However, if it drops into the 20's, I do wrap it in a bed sheet.

Ryan

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Ryan I love the color of that passie? I have no idea what it is but it's just lovely.

Tommysmommy what zone are you in? Sustained temps of -20 might be pushing it but I've had long stretches with single digit temps and my hardy passies are fine. I keep P. caerulea, incarnata and incense inground. My caerulea is fairly well behaved but the incarnata and especialy the incense send up suckers 20 feet away from the original plant. At least they are easy to pull up but I usually end up leaving them alone because I think they're so pretty.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I popped into the passiflora forum.... mostly just crickets in there... they aren't nearly as chatty as bruggers. ;-)

They should just create a forum for "plant addicts". Would be easier than having to check two dozen forums each day to see whats new! LOL Guess its a good thing that things are so slow at work, plenty of spare time of my hands....

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

Oh I just love everyones passies, I only have the common incarnata, I bought it last year and I really love it even tho it was already starting to spread when winter came.

Lucy, last year I went to Fl and I did fill up my suitcase with plants. Even Lowes was an adventure for me there. Just remember if you decide to fill your suitcase with plants the airlines have weight limits and thickness limits for your luggage. Speaking from experience, I left several articles of clothing in Florida.....what is more important? Cothes or plants?

Mary

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's hilarious! So how do you pack plants and not get dirt all over and not break their stems and stuff?
    Karyn I'm in zone 5a or 5b, and we don't have continuous winter temps below 0 but it happens almost every year for a week or two, compliments of Canadian air. We also usually have late snows that are heavy and wet, sometimes as late as April but we all breathe a sigh of relief when that doesn't happen. It just ruins the crabapple blossoms and bulbs. I have two distinct climates in my yard - the south side which gets sun and more sun and everything comes up earlier, (but is heavily planted with junipers and my husband keeps digging in his feet about pulling them out even though they're 50 years old, don't get me started...) and the north side which has tons of room and backs to a forest and creek but is 10 degrees colder at least, very windy, and heavily shaded due to trees and the terrain. If I could get those *@#$%#* junipers out I'd even be able to plant a Japanese Maple, which I'd love to have.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

You don't need to bring plants home on the plane. Just wait until your last day there and mail them to yourself -you should be home by the time they get there. Or mail them to a friend or relative to hold for you :)

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

tommysmommy, P. caerulea is the one that will take all the cold. I have friends in Canada that grow that one.

Ya know I'd be mailing the plants due to the missing luggage!! LOL

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

oooo they're all so pretty! I am hoping to get some more varities this year. Only have 2. I have to get some hardy ones.

lol Mary..DEF plants!!!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Tommysmommy you could root some cuttings from your caerulea and plant them in a protected spot in the yard this spring. If they don't survive your winter temps you'll still have the potted one. The vitifolia can't take the cold but is hardy in just about every other way. It's one of my favorites and produces really cool looking fruit.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

I think I will ship things back lol. You got one good point...missing luaggage lol

Oh did I mention that I am falling more and more in love with Passionflowers? Does this one need a big pot or does a small one do?

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

I have ours in a 15 gallon pot! The biggest is in a 20 gallon and those stayed outside all winter, yes they are
    P. caerulea. We keep them on the north side of the house near the greenhouse during the winter months.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Lucy I give all my passies lots of room. They really like being in ground best but it's such a PITA for me to dig up the tender varieties in the fall.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Karyn I know what you mean. I got to learn to buy hardy stuff ha ha ha

Well that is good. So I will leave my first one in the big pot. Thanks Karma

Lucy

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Rubbing it in again Lucy. Miss zone 8 hahahhah Just teasing barb

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't find who wanted to know what size pot I had my passionflower vines in, but, and I'm embarrassed to say it, they've been in the same 10" pots for 2 years now. I think I better 1) root prune them both and 2) pot up at least to a 12". I don't know, they've been doing fine, grow 30' vines in summer and, since having had shoulder surgery 3 mo's ago, I shouldn't be trying to lift more than I have to yet. What do you all think?

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Here is mine

{{gwi:459956}}

{{gwi:459957}}

Mick

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mick very pretty. But I need to go to sleep. In the first picture I thought and thought ...trying to figure out what the squares are on the ceiling roflmao

THANK you for posting a second picture. I would not have been able to sleep lol

Good night

Lucy

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Very pretty! Is that mandevilla with it?

Ryan

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Very pretty Mick :) Barb

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Ryan...yes that is Mandy :-)

Morning, just another day
    Happy people pass my way
    Looking in their eyes
    I see a memory
    I never realized
    you made me so happy, oh Mandy

Well you came and you gave without taking
    but I sent you away, oh Mandy
    well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
    I need you today, oh Mandy

I'm standing on the edge of time
    I Walked away when love was mine
    Caught up in a world of uphill climbing
    The tears are in my mind
    And nothing is rhyming, oh Mandy

Mick

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love those flowers Mick! I also have a mandevilla in a pot waiting to go outside. I ran out of sunny windows so it's biding its time in a north window, plenty of vines but no flowers. Which reminds me, if you're in Ontario, those can't be current outdoor photos, can they?
    Diane

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

I believe there's a Barry Manilow fan in the room. S'ok though, that makes two of us ;-)

Ryan

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Diane....true,I wish it was teh case right now with all the snow. The pic was from last summer :-)

Ryan...I am not a fanilow I swear. It's just one of those songs that sticks in your head.

Mick

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

would yall believe that I have my sister's Manilow album??? Some how I have ended up with a lot of her things......hmmm she is coming to visit in March!!

Mary

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

Mick is that M. Janell?

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

All the passies are sooo pretty. Love that Mandevilla as well!
    I miss mine.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

KHT....I don't think so, I'll have to check the tag for that

• msbatt
    15 years ago

Y'all more experienced with potted passies correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't repot Tommysmommy's passies. Don't they like to be a bit root-bound?

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay guys, what's wrong with liking Barry Manilow? BTW I like "Fanilow"! I was enjoying Barry before he needed a facelift LOL! (really, have you seen him on American Idol? Which I also love...)

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

I can't stand reality ( Why do they call it that? ) TV shows, they really get my goat *frown* I'll rather come here and talk about brugs and plants.

Now tell me this isn't REALITY? LOL

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Nothing wrong with liking him, he's just one of those that people either love or hate, not much middle ground. Barry used to be like Dick Clark, never seemed to age. Now both of them seem to have aged 40 years in about two weeks. All those ageless years caught up all at once. Missed him on AI.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus