SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Depth of Butterfly Bush roots?

bookjunky4life
14 years ago

I received some of Token's butterfly bush seeds, and since its not a plant my family or I have grown before, I have some questions. Primarily, how deep will the roots go. I have the majority of my flowers and vegetable gardens here:

{{gwi:454551}}

Same view a few days ago:

{{gwi:454552}}

Its a strip about 25' wide by over 100' long. The shed to the right is 40' long so I know its at least 100' total. We put in geothermal a few years ago and starting just behind the grape arbors is where they buried the lateral water lines. They are supposed to be six feet deep.

Therefore, I can't plant anything there unless #1 I don't care if it gets dug up/can be easily transplanted (in the event the pipes have problems and they have to dig up to get to the pipes; not a likely event) and #2 won't root deep enough to interfere with the pipes. I have a few other smaller flower beds but this is the primary area that I'm allowed to do whatever I want, as long as I follow #2.

In the past, I have planted my vegetable garden toward the back. I now have composting area at the very back but then I plan to have my vegetable garden and after that (going toward the front) things like sunflowers and marigolds. All that grass behind the grape arbors will be tilled up and will be the start of my flowers beds I hope to make after WS this year. BTW, I also have wild blackberries to the right and back side of the right arbor and wild raspberries to the back of the left arbor. I hope they bear fruit this year - yummy! I also have asparagus planted in between the arbors. The left arbor will likely get morning glories planted on it this year because I don't have any grapes to plant on it yet.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022