SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Made in the shade?

Liz
9 years ago

Well, trees are good for wildlife. I have chokecherry, hackberry, and Locust. Excellent for question mark butterflies, silver spotted Skipper, etc. but where there are trees, there is shade. What to do, what to do? I know some of you other folks have similar problems. In addition, the site is rather wet, being at a low point on the property, although the soil is mostly sandy. Also, the deer and groundhogs are getting inside my fenced area and helping themselves. I had been growing Heuchera and Tiarella here, but they are mostly gone. Combination of too much shade, too much wet, and being eaten as soon as they send up a leaf. The Asarum, maidenhair ferns, lady ferns, and Christmas fern are doing well. I have also allowed some jewelweed to grow in the area, as well as lots of dooryard violets (Viola sororia.) in fact, the violets are doing a little too well although I haven't seen any fritillaries, and the jewelweed really is a weed and probably should be pulled out.

I am not so much looking for something that will be good for butterflies per se, but something, anything, that will grow under these conditions. Does anyone have any suggestions? One plant I saw that looked intriguing and possibly good for butterflies even though it is not native, is Clover (trifolium repens.) I would expect it to be a good nectar plant for azures and sulfurs. I saw some of these on my lawn clover last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clover

This post was edited by dr.liz on Wed, May 28, 14 at 14:39

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals