Houzz Logo Print
pennyhal

San Diego Show

12 years ago

Is anyone going to the San Diego Show?

Penny

Comments (26)

• 12 years ago

Yes, indeed I am! I'm taking my neighbor from across the street with me. Are you going? Do you want to meet? I think I have an email address listed on my page (above)-you can shoot me a message. =)

• 12 years ago

Excuse me, Did I miss something, the date and location, I love Cactus and Succulent shows.

Thank you,
    Greg

• Related Discussions

Pleurothallis titan, orange form

Q

Comments (1)
    Talked to Andy, the originator of this plant of mine and was told that the color is an 'orangy-bronze'. Mystery solved, what to me looks like a washed out brown looks like an orangy bronze to others. I really don't have a problem with it, just wanted to make sure there was not a tag mix-up. Nick PS Reminds me of the movie 'Ghost Busters' when Bill Murray turns to Aykroyd and says about his transformed love interest: "OK, so she's a dog".
    ...See More

San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale Announcement

Q

Comments (4)
    Ooops, didn't realize I skipped that part. I think the doors will be open 10am-4pm. It was advertised as starting at 11am, but I think the doors will be open around 10. Unfortunately it looks like it will be a very modest show, but there are still lots of plants for sale. And I figured I would wait to mention the educational show after this to prevent the confusion! Ha ha. -andy
    ...See More

San Diego Rose Show - Only 2 weeks

Q

Comments (1)
    It was good BeBe - thanks for everything.
    ...See More

San Diego Quilt Show

Q

Comments (5)
    I went a couple of years ago,and while(IMHO) it wasn't anything spectactcular,it was ok.There were a lot of art quilts,more so than the traditional ones,and i'm not really into those.There were some nice traditionals as well,just not as many as i expected.There were quite a few vendors as well. I havn't been since so i guess i wasn't too impressed,and i live just maybe a 1/2 hour-45 minutes from where it is held. Wait and see what Laura or Biwako have to say,they live closer to it and may have been there more recently than i was. Where would you be coming from?? Kathi
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago

Jeff posted the flier some time back, but here's a link to the website: San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society

As it turns out, I am not going to San Antonio *grr*, but I still can't make it to the show because I have drill on Saturday. *double grr* I'm completely bummed - not only do I desperately need (yes, need - we all know it's a need) to take home some more babies, but I'd have loved the opportunity to meet those of you who are going.

Have extra fun on my behalf!

*CG*

• 12 years ago

Was planning on making the trip down but life gets in the way again....

I'll have to enjoy it from everyone's photos

• 12 years ago

Ok, I see it Thanks a bunch, I will be looking forward to it and I hope I run into some of you there.

Greg

• 12 years ago

Those who can't make it, sorry we won't meet. I hope to take pix & share (in a timely manner this go round).

Greg, look for me wearing cactus sunglasses, pulling a rolly crate (for my cart-jumpers)! How an we tell who you are? :P

• 12 years ago

Penny, Rosemarie,

You've got to post a thread afterward with tons of pics ok?

I wish I could go but it's not going to happen for me. That's ok, plenty of plants to deal with here.

Have fun!
    -Ryan

• 12 years ago

I was going, but my husband has a problem. So now I don't know if I'll be there or not. Will probably decide later today. If I go, I'm the short lady with dark hair wearing a bright turquoise jacket.
    Penny

• 12 years ago

Greg, I will look for you if you give me a hint what I should look for!

CG, SO sorry you have a drill! Are you SURE you couldn't be 'sick' (wink, wink) this time? :P ;0 If not, we WILL have extra fun for you!

Penny, I sure hope your hubby's problem is resolved, as it would be a shame not to meet! I hope it will not be so cool you need a jacket, but the forecast is for DRIZZLE! (1st time for that!) I won't believe it till it see it, though! Thanks for your description. :)

I am tall, long, dark hair, will have camera around my neck, shades-if not on face-maybe top of head (seen below) & cart-jumper mobile in tow. Maybe I should bring TWO?! (-or my friend, Mary Lou, will pull the cart while I snap pix)! Okay-found a pic of me (w/Cactusjordi behind) Jeff posted from a previous C&S show-ought to get you in the ballpark for finding me-see link below.

Ryan (& all), I will do my best with the pix...new memory card ready-hope to bring lots of fresh batteries-and hope that I put camera on proper setting to take pix under weird lights inside (always a challenge for me to get them in focus without flash) & change settings when I go outside for pix.

I recall ggarner mentioned (in post w/fabulous shots of tidy greenhouse & tons of plants) s/he would be going to the show for the 1st time. If you're reading this, are you still going? Hints to find, if so?

I'm planning to be there by 10 & stay several hours. Hope I find you guys!
    {{gwi:490141}}

{{gwi:490142}}

My eyes might be all puffy from crying-as 1 of the 6 month-old pups died yesterday (Sadie, that lives next door)-from our dog, Shadow's litter. We're not sure if poisoned or what. Hoping C&S shopping therapy will help healing. :/

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:490124}}

• 12 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that Sadie died. Sometimes it's just not possible to determine what has made a dog ill no matter how much you spend or try.

It doesn't look like I'll be at the show. Will miss seeing everyone and all your plants, but expect photos! Perhaps you need more carts, don't you think?

Penny

• 12 years ago

Lady RoRo with Antler Man

{{gwi:490144}}

Antler Man (and he grows a few cacti and has even one named for his humble self)

{{gwi:490145}}

Everyone Who Can,

You should make every effort to go, up to and including hiring a jackass to take you to Balboa Park (if you stuck to canyons I think you could make it) - in fact if I was there, I could be the one to take you. You meet the most interesting people, as noted above from a recent Winter Show (which is the best, and perhaps the only, Winter Show).

• 12 years ago

Thanks, Penny. It will probably remain a mystery as to cause of her death.

Bummer you will miss the show/sale! I DO think I need more carts, but this will limit what I take home...UNLESS...I decide to make a 2nd trip to the car (however far away I've parked)! I asked my neighbor if she wants me to bring the 2nd cart & she assures me she's only planning to get a couple plants. Ha! We shall see if she can stick to that! :D

Duo-tasking (shopping/snapping) at these events is a tricky thing! I will do my best! I also hope to see some old friends from the forum while I'm there. It will be a crazy busy day!

Now...if I just had one of Jeff's super-duper plant potter's lazy susan to fix 'em all up when I get home!!

• 12 years ago

Oops-I missed Jeff posting-here's one of HIM at previous show, where his face is not HIDDEN:
    {{gwi:490146}}From

• 12 years ago

O M G... Penny and Rosemarie, I was just instructed that I would be covering for someone at work that had a family emergency, I hope he's not headed to the San Diego show.

I was really looking forward to meeting some of you all there too and picking up a plant or two, or three...

I was going to look for the shades with the cactus design, Boy those are sure cool looking too, I know I could'nt miss you either with those on and I was looking forward to meeting some of the garden community there too.

Well maybe the next show so if anyone knows of the next event please post them again.

Have a great time everyone and I'll be looking for the pic's.

Greg

• 12 years ago

Last year I didn't get the SDCSS show/sale pix up within the 2 wks after I took them. I learn my lessons the hard way! We then acquired a stray dog, Shadow, who became Mama to 7 pups (pix I've shown before, of course) and our life hasn't been the same since!

Here are a few pix of my friends...folks I met on the forums over the years (this forum & another).

Click for larger:

{{gwi:490147}} {{gwi:490148}} {{gwi:490149}} {{gwi:490151}}
    {{gwi:490153}} {{gwi:490155}}

I'll work on some of the show/sale plant pix from last year, so you can salivate while we're there tomorrow!

• 12 years ago

Mannnnn, another reason to wish to live in California. Wanna go so bad.

• 12 years ago

Rosemarie, nice looking group of plant lovers all in there zone, you can see the passion in your eyes beaming with excitement.

How about introducing everyone left to right?

Thanks for making it possible of being a part for those who can't make it.

Greg

• 12 years ago

Greg, I'm right in the middle of resizing & getting 200+ pix ready to upload...so I'm hoping this will suffice. Hover over each pic. Down below your screen, the pic filename should show-with folks' names. Only guy I don't know is on left in 2nd to last pic.

• 12 years ago

Okay~Please excuse poor quality of photos~best I could do under circumstances...last year's show plants at the link below.

One to start you off!
    {{gwi:490158}}From 2011 SDCSS show-sale

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 June show plants

• 12 years ago

Roro,

Mi corazon quivers when I see that plant.

• 12 years ago

Well then Roma and the others,
    see you tomorrow!

My truck is loaded already with show plants and sale plants.

The Antler Man

• 12 years ago

Can't wait to see you, Juergen! Maybe I can help take some of your plants off your hands too!

Jeff, hope it doesn't hurt too badly. I'll miss seeing you there this time. :(

• 12 years ago

Back from the show! We had a FABULOUS time, of course! No drizzle for the show~only during my dog walk earlier. Greg did not find me, so not sure what happened. I saw CactusJordi (& bought plants from him), said "Hi!" (only) to Kelly Griffin, as he was talking with someone. Bought LOTS of cart-jumpers (left a few for others), pottery & a book! My neighbor/friend got 7 plants & a couple books (one-just because my name is mentioned it it-ha!). I'm processing several hundred pix. At least most of them came out this time. =D Back with a new post ASAP.

• 12 years ago

Rosemarie, sorry I had to work, but I thought about it all day long. And I can't wait for your pictures to come out either.

I would have loved it too I know it, how many did you get a chance to meet from the garden web ?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

• 12 years ago

Oh too bad, Greg! You missed a great show/sale! As I said, Jordi is the only one I saw (this time around). Back to messing with pix.

• 12 years ago

Wow Rose, thanks for this thread and the pics!

Looks like you are having fun and I could only wish to be there! Hoping you enjoy your new aquisitions and they their new home.

Mike