SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

What eats Wild Blue Lupine besides Karner Blue Butterfllies?

docmom_gw
13 years ago

Several years ago I planted a generous patch of Lupine in my yard, because a known established colony was being threatened by development. The patch has done very well, but I've never seen any butterflies on it. Plenty of other nectaring friends, but no Karner Blues. Yesterday I was out trying to decide what I should do with 1000 Lupine volunteer seedlings, when I noticed considerable chewed foliage on the newly emerging established plants. Yeah! But does that mean the Karner Blues have found me? Or is someone else just taking advantage of some early-season nutritional source? I wasn't able to find any cats or eggs--and who knows if I'd recognize them if they jumped up and bit me.LOL. I don't know how early Karners get started, and I sure don't have much in the way of nectar sources. I guess some of the ornamental trees are in bloom. What does anyone think? I'll try to do some more reading. I did read that Wild Indigo Duskwing use Lupine for a host, but the map I found doesn't show them anywhere in Michigan. I hope to hear anyone's thoughts. Thanks in advanced.

Martha

Comments (4)

Sponsored