SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeinnj

1st time planting Fennel & Dill for foodsource Tips Needed

treeinnj
16 years ago

I'm planting fennel & dill for the first time - in my flower garden bed - specifically and only as a caterpillar food source. (from seed, Johnny Seeds - just arrived) [I'm new to this forum, usually lurk in the Soil Forum.]

I'm in NW NJ zone 6, have pretty good soil - that I've been working on for about a year. Plan to plant both seeds direct into the ground (from various recommendations that I read) - mostly in full sun, behind (dill) & between (fennel) other perennials (butterfly bush, aliums) or annual flowers (various bright colors).

One thing - the place where I WAS going to plant the DILL is in the back of the retainer-wall bed - b/c it'll probably be one of the tallest plants - but that has a big retainer-wall boulder about 4" below soil surface - do you think will that interfere w/the Dill's long taproot? Or, Do you think the taproot will just grow around/along the boulder until it gets to the edge of the boulder (about 3"-6" from seeds to boulder edge)?

Do you have any germination, planting, growing, nurturing dill & fennel for food source TIPS that you'd like to share?

Thanks, and All the Best, Tree

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!