SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Luna Moth...THRILLING!

bandjzmom
12 years ago

Well, my boys and I came outside yesterday morning to drive off to school and found a Luna Moth resting on our driveway. I'm so glad my younger son spotted it before my older son ran it over with his car as he backed out of the garage. I was so thrilled to finally, for the very first time, see a Luna Moth!! I scooped it up into a container until I could get back to get some pics, and then I released it into a shady spot on my front porch. It hung around there all day until dark fell, and then it was gone. I see that Shagbark Hickory is a host plant, and I do have a HUGE one in my back yard. :o) Check it out. Is it a male or a female?

{{gwi:467242}}

Comments (6)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Looks like a gorgeous female to me, Angie, at least her antennae look smallish. Female luna moths have bigger antennae than other big moth females, at least mine always have. I've mistakenly called a female a male until the "real" male emerged with his great big antennae! :)
    Around here their favorite host is sweetgum, but they use many trees - she probably laid eggs on your hickory last night.
    Congrats on finding my favorite moth!
    Sherry

• catherinet
    12 years ago

That's really cool! Its always sort of shocking.....in a wonderful way, to see one. Every few years I see one. They sure don't stay around long. And I never see them flying......just sitting motionless somewhere.
    That's neat that you have a big shagbark in your yard. I do too, with another young one growing not too far from it. They are such cool trees.

• garnet69
    12 years ago

What a beautiful moth. I just found my new desktop pic : D

• luvahydrangea
    12 years ago

that is absolutely beautiful. I've never seen one in person before, I always hope though.

• mlowe22
    12 years ago

Beautiful! So glad your son spotted it as well! I saw one a few years ago up in Mid Michigan. They are spectacular! My daughter was 3 at the time and said it was like a fairy. :)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. In person, it looks as good as it does in the photo. I am finding that most people I show it to say that they have never seen one. What an awesome thing to see!! I was so happy to know that they are existing in my yard. :o)
    Angie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!