SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
button20_gw

so many caterpillars

button20
12 years ago

I went on a walk through the woods that are behind my house in the search for butterfly larvae and eggs. As I walked I ran into a patch of sassafras saplings,so it was only natural that I searched the leaves for spice bush swallowtail eggs. Long and behold, I found at least 9 eggs and a small 2nd in-star caterpillar. There were probably more, but I was happy with the nine eggs and cat. My luck didn't stop there, as I continued my journey I found many wild black cherries and checked the tips of the leaves for red spotted purple eggs. I found so many eggs and caterpillars I wasn't even able to count how many I had found. the last shock of my day was the finding of dwarf paw paw. I know its native to the eastern half of the USA, but I just didn't think it grew in the woods behind my house. the leaves of the paw paw bared 3 eggs ready to hatch and four zebra swallowtail larvae of various in-stars. I feel so spoiled with finding these caterpillars and eggs. However, what I don't understand is that there were a lot of sweet bay trees growing in the woods and along the edges of the woods, but not a single tree had any eastern swallowtail eggs or cats. I use to find dozens of these caterpillars last year around the same time. Does anyone have any ideas why I am not able to find eastern tiger swallowtails now? oh, and I am still searching for question mark and red admiral cats and eggs, but I only see the adults and never the host plants or cats.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets