FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

New hybrid 'Katie Rose'

This one's a keeper. But she's not for sale.

The pod parent is 'Traci' and the pollen parent is 'Dave' LOL!

Propagated Feb 3rd at 4:15 pm

{{gwi:458547}}

{{gwi:458548}}

Comments (48)

• phoenixryan
    13 years ago

Absolutely adorable! You'll have to patent that hybrid for sure! Congratulations!

• rosepedal
    13 years ago

Congrats Dave!!! She is beutiful must take after her mama..LOL Just kidding good job! Barb

• Related Discussions

EuroDesert Roses: Spolight on Hybrid Musks

Q

Comments (2)
    Before I point out what a wonderful opportunity this is, let me also add that Cliff is a very special person. To own one (or more) of Cliff's mother plants is more than just acquiring a rose you like. It is also a link to the wide world of roses and the people who make it possible for the rest of us. So, anyone who even slightly suspects they are going to kick themselves for not jumping on this, jump on it. As more and more nurseries fold, there will be fewer opportunities to acquire specimens easily. While Vintage Gardens is absorbing much of Cliff's stock, they can't produce all their roses every year. The next time you may want a rose from Cliff's list, you may have to shell out $45 and wait two years for custom rooting.
    ...See More

Sunstruck hybrid tea roses

Q

Comments (9)
    It's possible it could be your new roses were overfertilized from the miracle grow and that caused the problem... And the MG soil you added around rose roots probably also had fertilizer added in to it. What do you others think??? You may want to try using mulch around that rose since the soil is drying and cracking... This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:55
    ...See More

A new hybrid 'Katie Rose'

Q

Comments (10)
    hey...congrats dave in nova.... i have a couple of these growing myself...i do have to bring them in for winter though.. if i may make some suggestions..... they don't like alot of watering..they in fact leak from time to time...i tried to keep mine growing in the shade...little fertilizer.. and you must keep an eye on these after several years..they can get out of hand... your friends and family will be making comments like...where you get that one from..etc....don't tell them or the next thing you know everyone will be wanting one..you might even have strangers stop and make comments along the lines of..."well isn't this one a real cutie"...i hope you're as proud of your little flower as i am of my three.. happy growing and good luck with your new hybrid "" Katie Rose "" cheers
    ...See More

can you grow cuttings from a hybrid rose?

Q

Comments (2)
    most roses can be started from cuttings..here are a couple of links to tell you how, but there are dozens of posts on this forum if you do a search..donna http://www.rkdn.org/roses/propagate.asp http://www.texasroserustlers.org/propcare.html
    ...See More
  • gardenpaw
    13 years ago

Congratulations Dave!!!
    She is just adorable!

Karen

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Congrats Dave
    that is definately a keeper for sure
    she's geourgeous
    Elizabeth

• chena
    13 years ago

I bet she smells amazing!!!! and she has wonderful color! LOL
    She is Beautiful!!! Congrats!! What did she weigh in at???
    Kylie

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kylie,

She was 7 lb 8 oz. Actually she favors me. I had blond hair like that when I was little. And my skin is sort of golden like her's (of course she could be a bit jaundiced!). We call her our little golden girl.

• dimples31312
    13 years ago

Congratulations!!!
    She sure is a keeper.
    Dorothy

• chena
    13 years ago

She came in at a very good weight!!!!!I just love Baby Lips and Baby Toes!!! I just want to snuggle her!!!! and I LOVE!!! her name!!!! Katie Rose!!!!
    WOOHOO!!! new babies!!!!! YES!!!!

• lopaka_mikale
    13 years ago

Wow! I saw the photo, and thought I clicked on the wrong thread! What a beauty. Guess there will be no cuttings anytime soon.

Congratulations, Dave.
    Bob

• amelia_pepper_lady
    13 years ago

Beautiful. Snuggle her for all of us!

• neonposey
    13 years ago

Oh Dave, shes Beautiful! Congratulations on such a successful cross. We'll be expecting more pictures of this lovely lady as she grows.... :)

• tropicgirl
    13 years ago

Look at that blonde hair. She's a sweetie Dave, congratulations.

Deb

• daniellalell
    13 years ago

Awwww! SHe is beautiful! Congratulations you two!! You are awesome hybridizers! :) (((hugs)))

Love the name!
    Welcome to the world Baby Katie Rose!!

{{gwi:458549}}

OK so I made this cake 2 years ago, but its a pic..who says it can't be re-used for another baby celebration? lol.

Original Author
    13 years ago

You all are great! Thanks to everyone of you for your comments!

I wish this pic had not been blurry.

{{gwi:458551}}

• knotz
    13 years ago

OMG...She is SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!..And blond like me :)

Congrats to you and your family...I can already tell how proud you are...lol

knotz

• maemae0312
    13 years ago

She is adorable!!!! Congrats!!!

Mary

• taz56
    13 years ago

Awe! Look at the Lil" Angel, wanna share!
    I will baby sit her for kisses and hugs!
    I know you all are proud, I love babies,
    can you tell!
    Susan

• givelittle_getlots
    13 years ago

Oh my God Dave, it took me a while to look at your new hybrid. Only because I was scared I wanted it too.

CONGRATULATIONS to a one of a kind!!!

She is SO PERFECT! And SO BLOND! Just beautiful! You must be in heaven!

Now THAT IS A ANGEL!

Lucy

• threas
    13 years ago

Lucy, well put!
    Congratulations, Dave, on the best angel of them all!
    Daniella, that cake is fab! Such talent!

Theresa

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Dave, congrats to you and the Mrs. What a very special gift! Love the many faces babies make :-) May God keep her safe, happy, healthy.

• karmahappytoes
    13 years ago

Congrats G-paw Dave, is this the first? She sure
    is a keeper, patented would be wise!

Original Author
    13 years ago

She's our first child. So we have a lot of sleepless nights ahead! Our pediatrician today said newborns are basically nocturnal. Great.

~dave

• pearlgirl
    13 years ago

Precious! Precious!!
    Margaret

• pagrdnr
    13 years ago

Congratulations on you daughter Dave!
    Shawn

• givelittle_getlots
    13 years ago

Dave with such an angel...how can you stop at ONE lol

Enjoy every second with them. Cause they do grow up way to fast!

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    13 years ago

You sly puppy!! Congrats on your first child, hint . . . . sleep in shifts. . . . . and wear her out early in the evening. As pop duties, take her for a ride in the car if you are having problems sleeping at nights.

• funinthesunincl
    13 years ago

She is beautiful!!!!

~Mary Jane

(And about them being nocturnal---snuggle with her and love her---she will be sleeping (& so will you...) thru the night before you know it! My husband had perfected his 'two step' with our first son! Holding him, gentling singing to him, shuffling all around the house... :) Seems like we were in your shoes like it was yesterday...and now we are talking about colleges!!! Enjoy every moment!!! )

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh Dave she is really beautiful. She looks so sweet and pretty. Sorry I didn't look earlier. I was afraid it was gonna be one I wanted too, lol. We have been practicing pollinating but no pods in the oven, lol. Please post more pics as she grows. I love babies. Congrats to you and your wife! I'm so happy for you both.

• ibartoo
    13 years ago

Dave, Katie Rose is breathtaking! What a beautiful gift from God. Congratulations! you are very blessed.
    Linda

Original Author
    13 years ago

Great 'growing tips' from everyone! Thanks!

Another sleepless night last night. She's really only fussy when it's dark out LOL!

~dave

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 8b)
    13 years ago

She's beautiful.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Here she is at her best!

{{gwi:458552}}

• daniellalell
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! keep those pix coming :)
    O I just wanna kiss & cuddle her!!! o I love babies...
    look at those lil lips!!! precious!!
    Makes me want another one...I could stare at that pic all day. You two surely have been blessed.

• givelittle_getlots
    13 years ago

Dave I AM laughing real quietly so I will not wake this precious angel up. But laughing because I am thinking about your sleepless nights lol. I LOVE clicking on this link. Not even expecting more pictures. Just the FIRST pictures just make me go all goo goo gaa gaa.
    I betcha you just sit there and watch her don't you? What a sight! So glad you keep those pictures coming :-)

Lucy

Original Author
    13 years ago

Lucy, yes, we are entertained by her many faces....contentment, resentment!, hunger, sheer anger!,
    fascination, etc. I've considered adding some 'thought bubbles' to the photos. She really becomes challenging from about 11:00 pm until 3:00 am or so. We try to keep her up more in late evening. But she's only a week old and wants to sleep when she wants to. LOL!

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

Oh my she is even more beautiful already. I love the outfit thats my favorite colors, lol. Nights will be a challenge for a little while until she gets a bit older. I was lazy and breastfed so I didn't have to get up so often, lol. It will get better and the car ride trick really works. It was really hard to get my daughter to sleep sometimes and she would get so tired and irritable it would wind her up more so I took her for a ride just down the road and back and she would go right to sleep. The boys had this ball with a tail that would vibrate and roll around that was supposed to look like an animal shaking its tail and I put that under her mattress a couple times and the vibration put her to sleep. You do desperate things when you are sleep deprived, lol. Please post all you want. We love wishing we had babies again but don't miss the no sleep part, lol. Give her a smooch for me.

• givelittle_getlots
    13 years ago

Dave I think it is like 6 weeks that a newborn has to get a sleeping pattern. Now if she still does not sleep better at night...I guess we will see a lot of evening bubbles lol Which she looks like such a happy baby that surely she will make her parents happy and sleep at night.

Been a long time since I had a baby but you see a gift from God like your Katie Rose and you forget all your aches and pains and wished you could have a baby of your own lol

Then your granddaughter comes over and by the time they leave you say, thank God I can rest now rofl

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    13 years ago

Hey Dave, thanks for the added photos but one should teach her to sleep on her back? Oh boy if you think you have sleepless nights now just wait until she starts dating! LOL
    Or driving and wants to go out with the girls?? Sleep while you can as you will have many sleepless nights down the road!

Original Author
    13 years ago

...of our Off-topic little hybrid and I'm done.

{{gwi:458553}}

• karmahappytoes
    13 years ago

She is sure going to break a lot of hearts!! Thank you for sharing her with us all.

• daniellalell
    13 years ago

Karma, they don't want babies sleeping on their backs anymore, increased risk of SIDS, and if they spit up, they will choke on it. Sleeping on her side is good.
    To prevent a flat bald spot on her head Dave, yes, it does happen, lol..just make sure you rotate which side of her head is touching the bedding each time she goes down.
    Geez she is beautiful. looky how long her fingers are! Maybe a future piano player :) O I bet she smells so good and is so soft!! Isn't cuddling with your baby, holding your baby, the absolute BEST thing in the world?? NOTHING can compare. My youngest just turned 5, I have 3.
    I disagree with using the car to get them to sleep..they get dependant on it, and its not a pretty sight to break that habit. SHe absolutely NEEDS to learn how to fall asleep on her own. What I would do was rock and sing to them, or walk with them kinda bouncing them..not really bouncing, but ya know what I mean, lol. And when they get so relaxed they are just about to crap out, get them very gently into the crib, then gently take my fingers and caress their face, If you take your 4 fingers, start at the forehead, and gently, slowly bring them down her face over her eyes, down her nose, over her mouth to her chin, the natural reaction is for her to close her eyes. If she is relaxed enuf this should get her to sleep. Worked 99% of the time for me. But, like I said she HAS to learn to fall asleep on her own, if she doesn't bed time will be a constant battle for years. When she gets to be a little older, like 7-9 months or so, don't be scared to let her cry herself to sleep. My DH always freaked and it was hell for me, cuz he made it harder, 'she's screaming & crying, don't you care?' UGH!!! But they have to learn..and they will cry when you put them in their crib and walk away. If after 20 mins, she doesnt stop, you go back in and make sure everything is OK, but DONT pick her up unless you have to..this is what she wants! Dont even talk to her, just lay her back down and leave. It's hard, but ya gotta to do it. Quickly enuf she will learn to get to sleep on her own.
    Also, if she is gassy, I suggest you pick up some Mylicon at any pharmacy/supermarket. A few drops in her mouth and it will ease her gas pains. Gr8 stuff..worked miracles with my first one.
    I agree with Lucy, 6-8 weeks and she should have things figured out and be on a better night/day schedule and start sleeping more through the night..not 10 hours mind you, lol. But she'll start going 6-7 at a clip for the overnight, wake up for a feeding & changing and crap out for another 6.
    Just my opinion :)
    I can't wait till my sis starts having kids.

• neonposey
    13 years ago

Oh Dave, she is so gorgeous. I don't envy you getting her sleeping routine in place having done that 3 times myself, and being a grandma of 4, but things will settle out, I promise. It just takes a little time. My pediatrician always reminded me that crying and fussing was the only way a newborn could really get their exercise. In time, her "exericse" period will become before 11 instead of after. LOL. As she gets older and stays awake for longer periods, you will be able to do more to stimulate her and engage her so when she has that late nite feeding and goes to bed, she will be less likely to have those long fussy spells. And the Mylicon drops are a life saver during those first 3 months as their little digestive systems mature. Despite the recommendations of side sleeping, my newborns always slept better on their tummys. I believe it was more secure for them. Maybe during the 11 to 3 period you could try that and see how it works, expecially if she hasn't had any problems with severe spitting up or reflux. Good luck and keep the pics coming. Shes gorgeous. You and your family are truly blessed.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Her Mommy plays piano very well (long fingers). Yes, she's fun to cuddle. We use Mylicon. She sleeps on back most times. Tummy, but only when under observation. Sides sometimes. I will NOT spoil her! She absolutely will learn to sleep on her own when she is old enough.

Thanks!

• givelittle_getlots
    13 years ago

Dave what do you mean...LAST PHOTO???

I sure hope you only meant for THIS threat!!!!

PLEASEEEEEEEEEE. You got us hooked!

Now THAT is LOVE!

Thanks Dave and hope your little family had the best Valentines as a threesome!

Lucy

• karmahappytoes
    13 years ago

daniellalell, I thought it was to keep them on their backs and not stomach due to SIDS? Ya know all my kids and grandkids were placed on their backs after being rocked to sleep.

• daniellalell
    13 years ago

Karma, I am pretty sure it is both now. Now they highly recommend sides only. That way risk if SIDS is reduced, as well as choking, and suffocation. I love those triangle pillowy things you can use to prop them onto their sides so they don't roll.

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

They changed their minds about all three of mine. Back stomach side who knows what they want you to do this year. I don't think I slept the first six months anyway making sure they were breathing, lol. Oh to be young again. Tending to the puppy put me flat on my back and that was just for a week. I don't know how I lived through raising three, lol. She is adorable and worth all the sleepless nights. They will get a flat spot on their head if they sleep on the same spot every night though, lol.

• sibhskylvr
    13 years ago

Dave

Congrats to you & Traci! 'Katie Rose' is a very nice name! And what a little angel she appears to be!! :)

Mike