SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Female Spicebush Swallowtail and Azalea Sphinx

MissSherry
16 years ago

Today while I was planting more oak seedlings in my woods, I saw a male tiger swallowtail flirting furiously with a black female. He was dancing all around her, driving her to the ground repeatedly, but never coupling. I had my camera in my pocket, so I quietly followed them, and when the female flew over to a wild azalea to nectar, a giant swallowtail in the area chased the male off. When I snapped the picture of the female, I was shocked to see that she wasn't a black tiger swallowtail at all, but a female spicebush swallowtail! No wonder they didn't mate! Here's the picture I made of her showing her undersides and spotted body, showing clearly that she was a spicebush swallowtail -

{{gwi:466115}}
This evening when I took the dogs out, I noticed a sphinx moth resting on my detached garage under the big lights. At first, when I saw the pinkish coloring, I thought she was a walnut sphinx. I looked up my picture of a walnut sphinx from last year, and the markings didn't look the same, plus she's sort of orangy-pink. Then I looked at my pictures of hog sphinxes from last year, and although the markings were about the same, the coloring was wrong, the hog sphinxes being greenish brown in color. So then I looked up azalea sphinx moth and voila! that's what she is! I'm so glad to get a picture of an azalea sphinx moth! I've found the caterpillars many times on my wild azaleas and native viburnums, but I've never found an adult until tonight -

{{gwi:460085}}
Maybe I'll be seeing the cats soon.

Sherry

Comments (11)

Sponsored