SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Anyone know about kiwi's

karyn1
13 years ago

I'm wondering if a grape size kiwi fruit that I tried is hardy and if it's the same as Actinidia kolomikta? I bought the fruit at the market and had never seen this one for sale. It was imported but I don't remember from where. The fuit was quite good, very sweet and smooth skinned. You just popped them in your mouth whole. I collected seeds and was thinking about growing some. The reason I want to know if it's similar to the Actinidia kolomikta (Arctic Beauty) is that I finally ripped those vines out of the garden. Only the males have variegation and it doesn't last long. Besides that the vine is a monster. In terms of invasiveness I'd put it right up there with Campsis radicans. It took 3 years of cutting and digging to finally get rid of it and I'm not positive that it won't come back again. I really liked the fruit that I bought but don't want to make the mistake of planting more monster vines, especially since I'll have to grow several to ensure I get both sexes. I really don't care what it looks like as long as it doesn't take over my garden.

Comments (9)