SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Question for people who raise cats

caterwallin
17 years ago

I had 24 Butterfly Weeds and 2 Swamp Milkweeds in the garden last year and got 70 cats off of them (well, actually a little more but a few died). They ate like a bunch of pigs! Now this year I have those same plants outside plus the six Swamp Milkweed that I bought last year because I was afraid of running out of food for the cats. I also planted 30 Swamp Milkweed seeds in the ground last fall but don't know how big they'll get, so I'm not counting on them to supply food for the cats. I have some Swamp Milkweed in 20 pots that I also planted in the fall, but I also don't know how big they'll get this first year, so I suppose I shouldn't depend on them to feed the cats this year yet either.

Okay, this bring me to the many tropical milkweed plants that I have growing that I got from Cal Sherry. I have a few big ones sitting outside pretty much because they got so big already and I ran out of space to put them inside. I also have many smaller tropical milkweed that I started later on that I have to separate because they're all in one container (there's probably 50 of them). I'm putting some of the tropical milkweed outside for the butterflies to lay eggs on, but will probably keep most of them in the cage that I built to raise the cats in.

Finally to my question...I just realized that I'm going to need 50+ one-gallon pots to put the milkweed in. How do you get that many? I'd have to pay an arm and a leg for the many containers from the store. Also, I'd need a lot of potting soil. What do you all do when you raise cats that you don't have to take out a second mortgage on the house to buy containers and potting soil??

Cathy

Comments (14)

Sponsored