SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monte_gw

Tutorial Using Costco Style Square Jugs

Monte
14 years ago

Tutorial ÂUsing Costco Style Square Jugs

Hi all, you may have noticed that Costco has introduced a whole new style of milk jug onto the scene.

Being a whole new form factor it presented me with a challenge on how best to modify it to suit wintersowing. You all may recall how I love these engineering experiments so I made up a new tutorial on how I addressed the new form.

The drain holes in the bottom are a given so I skipped that part.

First letÂs introduce the new player:
{{gwi:453164}}

The first thing I addressed was how to bisect it. IÂm not a fan of the "hinge" or "door" methods preferring to have two separate pieces so it was only a matter of where to cut.

Easy peazy. Using the indicated spot on the label gives me a bottom that slips into the top section just up to the point of the bottom of the handle:
{{gwi:453165}}

Small snip with the point of the scissor then all the way around gives you this:
{{gwi:453166}}

Now how to hold the two parts together for eventual transport and watering. I focused on the nice molded in channel that went al the way around the diagonal.

Logical place for a fastening system. So a slip the top over the bottom. Very easy and the molded in "channels" on the sides keep things perfectly aligned and the assembly sits dead flat.
{{gwi:453167}}

So what to use to fasten things??

Rubber band? Hard to find ones large enough.

WifeyÂs knitting gear catches my eye.

That could work. So I "requisition" a stray ball (hank? What is that term?) of yarn.

LetÂs keep that part to ourselves, OK

I cut off about a two foot piece and make a loop in one end.

A couple of tiny ¼ " snips at the bottom edges (for control) and I run it under and around the assembled parts.

A simple slip knot through the previously mentioned loop and viola.
{{gwi:453168}}

This bottom view shows that the channel runs all the way around and makes a very secure wrap.
{{gwi:453170}}

I donÂt think it needs to be mentioned that you would put the soil and seeds in the bottom section before you tied it shut.

IÂm just sayin you know in case you forgot

So there you go.

Another option.

Use as you will.

Share it, link it, tattoo it on your, well maybe donÂt go that far but feel free to disseminate it anyway you choose.

Til we meet again,

Monte

Comments (12)

Sponsored