SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larschar

Mislabels :-(

larschar
15 years ago

Yeah....so these two were supposed to be Stargazer and Pink Diamond. Sigh. I think they are Minerva and......I dunno. What is this? Candy Floss? Please HELP!!!!

{{gwi:444436}}

{{gwi:372071}}

Isn't this pink a knock out? Wow!

Comments (39)

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    15 years ago

My Minerva from Home Depot looks extremely anemic this year. It's the worst bloom I've ever seen! Your's looks peekid too! I am hopeful that my NBC Minerva is a knock out. Don't know what the pink one is, but it's a beauty!
    :-)
    K

15 years ago

Guesses on Pink...
    Candy Floss has white filaments, so not it.
    Cantate??
    It could be Basuto or Desert Dawn, Gold Medal...hey, if you bought it locally, it could be Merry Christmas (nah...too red)! Last guess....Royal Velvet!
    K

• Related Discussions

Agave Id please. seems mislabeled

Q

Comments (6)
    Could still be A parviflora though, A schidigera has broader/softer leaves and not so pointy/sharp tips. Can be challenging to ID between A filifera subspecies but check out multiple pics on web and many sites show pics of parviflora looking very close to yours. Many labelled A parviflora can look quite different, because not every specimen of the same species look exactly the same, species can be variable, AND mislabeling can happen on the web as well...Regardless of what it is, A filifera, schidigera or parviflora, all these are in the middle/small sizes :).
    ...See More

Mislabeled bagged roses.

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello, I have bought 7 bagged roses this year and so far only 1 died. I fed them really well and dug holes next to each rose which I fill with water on hot days to saturate their 5 cm long roots. They are all doing fabulously as they were quite fresh when I got them and they have on average 5 inches of new growth. I fully expect most of them to be mislabeled. I was wondering if anyone would like to share pics of their mislabeled bagged roses if they have some. I have seen some pictures of mislabeled roses on here before and some are fabulous!
    ...See More

Mislabeled Austin… What is this rose?

Q

Comments (29)
    dianela7bnorthal I appreciate your answering my questions very much. Agree on putting cow manure/chicken manure in late winter since phosphorus mobility is a 1, it moves down very slowly, esp. in dense clay. One study showed that phosphorus moves down 1 inch. per year in heavy clay. Also appreciate your honesty (in previous posts) as to which roses died or which one is prone to blackspots. I'm testing 7-gallon Air-pots (like what Hoang Ton uses for his fabulous grafted-Austins). After 24 hours of heavy rain (2 inch. of rain), roses in Air-pots are 100% healthy, but roses in my Styrofoam pots have holes in the leaves from too much rain. Husband is so impressed with the health of roses in Air-pots that he ordered 6 more for me ($64 for six 7-gallon each GROW-GREEN Air-pots on Amazon.) It's only $10 more for the 6 bases with wheels. Safety gloves are also included. librarian_gardner_8b_pnw I love both your honesty and Dianela's. I post for truth & share my mistakes so others don't make the same mistakes. My B.S. is in Computer Science, with working experience as a C-programmer, so I'm geared toward accurate details. I'm 60, and as I get older I become more like my husband (he's a computer-geek & into just facts & technical info. and hates bullshitting).
    ...See More

Mislabeled roses, en masse!

Q

Comments (10)
    @Kimberly Wendt (Florida Z. 10b) I'm not surprised. During all the years I managed and sold in retail and wholesale nurseries, frequently encountered people who simply bought what was "pretty" and weren't concerned with much else about the rose, and many other plants. I was also surprised how many didn't care the one without the flower was a better plant, they frequently wanted the one with the "pretty face". It didn't matter they were the same variety and the one without color had grown more vigorously, was better pruned, had developed better, they often just wanted "the pretty one". It drove me nuts as I was the one who obsessively made sure they were true to name and wanted to supply them the best possible of what they sought. As you probably should also guess, they were also usually the ones who wanted to return plants because "they were dead". Not the PLANT, the FLOWERS had died. You can guess some of those conversations...
    ...See More
  • ryan820
    15 years ago

That is pink..so pink... like panther pink. It is definitely not Royal Velvet-- which is a very dark red. My God that is pink...wow...

As for the first one, it is kind of boring. Looks like a print that sat in the sun too long.

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know. Isn't that first one a bummer? I was so expecting Stargazer. Grrrr.....so mad. It's like a washed out Minerva. Whatev. At least the blooms are huge. Like REALLY huge. Oh, and that IS quite the pink.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Larissa- Isn't that funny how we never get quite what we expect from these crazy things? haha!

That first one looks like Minerva, but could it be something else? It looks more orange than red.

The second one is so bad that you should send it directly to me and promptly! HAHA! I LOVE that one! What a score buddy!

-Frank

• ryan820
    15 years ago

Maybe it is a new variety of Minerva...like a laid back, reggae Minerva... maybe you should rename it Eah Monerva.

Yah know, if you don't like it-- which, lets be honest, its not that thrilling (the truth can be so brutal sometimes) you could always send it to Chaz-- Chaz has offered to take in uglies and hide them from the world. Such a giver.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I love Minerva, in any shade of red and white, so that wouldn't be too much of a disappointment... and that pink is phenomenal! Yowza! Whatever it is, it's a keeper, for sure!

Some mislabels work out pretty good, I think! Thanks for sharing!

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Is that gorgeous pink one Pink Surprise?? Looks like the one on Easy to Grow.
    I got one of those Minervas from H.D. It's a big, fluffy flower, so I bought it. It was already in bloom, so I didn't get disappointed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Surprise

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Ah, Ryan...taking in uglies anytime!!! Sometimes they make wonderful parents! I'm so jealous of all these blooms, no matter what they look like right now. None of my hipps are even showing a tease of scape. A few of them are finally going into their self imposed dormancy, I don't force dormancy on any. I have a few evergreens like my recovering aphrodite and papillios, but nothing near blooming right now. I really may have to just breakdown and break my self imposed moratorium, where the heck am I gonna put another one....HMMMMMMMMMM

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

If I can find space to squeeze in one more, so can you, Chaz! I managed to squeeze in 3 this season... so far! If I can find a Minerva or Apple Blossom at a good sale price, I might be forced to dig in my pockets for enough change to buy one!

However... so far, the stores are not giving sale prices. I'm a bit disappointed, especially since the kits at the stores are really going down hill fast. I wish they'd hurry up and discount those poor things.

There's always room for dessert... and there's always room for one more bulb! :-)

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Jodi,
    Not one on sale yet around here!!! And nothing but Red Lion, and a white variety are available in the big box stores. Not even our beloved Minerva!!!! The prices are ridiculous and most of them are almost blooming in their boxes. If they were on sale I'd at least buy a Red Lion. In the nurseries and garden centers the more pricey type are available but they never put them on sale. They pot them up and grow them on in their greenhouses. I'll have to wait till after the new year it looks like, then they'll be blooming with my bunch of plant room inhabitants. Chase did let me get a beautiful yellow blooming Thanksgiving cactus though...Yeah, I guess we always find room...

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

A yellow one? Very cool! I can't recall if I've ever seen a yellow one... the reds and pinks are the usual fare in this area.

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

The so called "Stargazer" reminds me of the "Mambo" I bought last year...looked like it should be pretty but never quite made it! IT was very faded and sickly. I am hoping to see it bloom later this year. I gave them to my sister and best friend last year and maybe one of those will bloom. I think my sister's was pretty good. They were from Park.

I Agree with Pink Surprise for the gorgeous pink one.

My "Lilac Wonder"s are popping. Maybe they will be true to color but the outsides have a definite dark red orange cast. They will be pretty anyway. The replacements for Angeleque and Lilac Wonder are really healthy and pretty what ever they turn out to be and I am enjoying them. It is so great to have their color right now, with our unusual cold and snow.

I spent the day trying to clean house and make ready for Christmas. It is so nice to have my blooming babies perking up the living room.

Pic later when I have time to download them. My "Carnaval" is a beauty!

• salpal
    15 years ago

Been busy with school, took my last final today, seems like such a free existance to just work for now! I have enjoyed the bits and pieces of posts I've read. Larissa, hello and what a beautiful pink bloom! I haven't bought many bulbs but had been impressed with a local nursery's selection. So far the Madam Butterfly (After seeing the online photo I was so excited over this one) turned into a nice Elvas, which I have, and Grandeur turned into some sort of reddish cybister. I guess things could be worse. I like that pink of yours!
    I had to giggle a little about sending the "uglies" to Chaz- be careful what you wish for! Chaz are you done with school for the semester? If my babies ever bloom and are too unsightly it's nice to know they can be sent to someone who will protect both them and the world from each other.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Chaz's Home for Wayward, Ugly & Unwanted Bulbs and Plants... deliveries can be made any time of the year! Completely confidential; your local garden club need never know! LOL!

Salpal, a reddish cybister sounds like a good mislabel... I wouldn't mind that one, at all! Even another Elvas wouldn't be bad... that's a very lovely variety!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Salpal! welcome back to the land of the sane. Yep after my final clinical last night the semester is over for me, got a rest until mid Jan now.

Jodi, you crack me up. "Chaz's Home for Wayward, Ugly, & Unwanted Bulbs and Plants..." I love it! I could just see Chase's face if boxes and bags started showing up. Heck...it may be a way to get that greenhouse! LOL

Heading out to the grocery store, we're expecting some major snow falls this weekend. I'll post some photos if we get hit.

BTW, I'd settle for a mislabled in bloom right now. Most of my bulbs are still going, never forced them into dormancy. I expect with the drop in temp in the plant/sun room that normally happens around Jan/Feb they'll try for dormancy on their own then. I hope to see blooms from them around April.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You know, Chaz... pet rescue organizations begin with an idea and a few donations... still joking, but it may, indeed be a way to obtain that greenhouse!

I could just see both your faces if all of a sudden one day the doorbell rings, and you answer it to find a wicker basket... wrapped in a small flannel blanket within that basket are several small pots containing bulbs and other plants, and there's a hand written note pinned to the blanket with a ducky pin saying, "Please give our little bundles of joy a home... we are unable to care for them as they are just too hideous. Signed, Anonymous." And every other week or so a new basket or shopping bag appears on your doorstep, each containing more bulbs and plants, each uglier and more forlorn than the last! And you look at Chase with your lower lip quivering, and he sighs... and says, "Oh, alright... go ahead and order a greenhouse, already... looks like we're gonna need it after all!" And the background music swells to a crescendo of violins, and the scene ends with a big hug and a "Thank you... I just know you'll make a great bulb Daddy!" And as the credits roll, you just know there will be a sequel... Chaz's Wayward & Ugly Bulbs Start School, or some such thing...

I've had way too much coffee... and not enough sugar! Chocolate, STAT!

In all seriousness, I notice that all of my cybisters are currently resting, as are all of my Red Lions and several other bulbs, mostly larger hybrids. I'm hoping for spring blooms... I hope they got enough light and feed to give spring blooms.

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

And right beside that wicker basket will be a considerably larger basket containing Larissa's two children with a note attached to the blanket with a similar little ducky pin that says, "Please give our little bundles of joy a home...we are unable to care for them as they are just too obnoxious. Signed, Anonymous." Oh, but you'll KNOW who "Anonymous" really is :-)

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Chaz- Enjoy that snow! Hopefully it will be just that and not that nasty ice! We had 71 degrees here today and forecast calls for mid 60's on Christmas day...sheesh, just won't feel like Christmas if it isn't cold...oh well!

Jodi- That was histerical! Thank you! I really needed to giggle a little!

Oh stop Larissa...you know you couldn't put those kids in a basket..you'll need something bigger! haha! j/k Loves it!

Ya'll crack me up!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what sort of weather everyone east of us will get, but we got freezing rain, ice, winds... very dangerous weather for travelers. I hope everyone has the foresight to stock up on necessities.

Today is cold and everything is solid ice... we had a bit of a melt yesterday, but not enough to melt all the ice that hit the night before.

I hope the days surrounding Christmas aren't that bad... we have to drive north several hours, and I definitely don't want to miss Christmas with the grandkids!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Oh how I wish I could run by Chaz and Chase's house to arrange the Basket discribed by Jodi! Then I would hide in the shrubbery and watch, LOL.

Actually this is what happened to our youngest son by his own birthmother's account...25 yrs ago. She wrote to him and told of standing hidden outside the door of the children's home and watching until someone took him inside and she knew he was safe. He was born with a serious genetic condition, her 3rd son born with it in 5 yrs, and she just could not cope but loved him dearly and still does.
    My heart goes out to all those mothers who chose this way and watched over their babies to make sure they were safe, and I know Chaz would give the forlorn little bulbs his very heart and soul! And show them off with much pride as they recovered and grew strong, even if it took 19 surgeries to do it, like our son had!

By the way, now my youngest son is my best buddy! Thank God his mother made him available to me! How is that for a Sentimental Christmas message!

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Liza your son has a very beautiful story :-) It took a lot of love and courage from his birthmother to do that. My best friend in college gave her little baby girl up for adoption. It broke my heart to see her so sad in that hospital. Her leaving without her baby was gut-wrenching. It took a lot of love for her to say goodbye. Adoption is one of the most lovely gifts I can imagine. :-)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Being one of four adopted children, I know what a gift it is to be given a chance at a life you'd otherwise not have... my parents were the finest people I've ever known.

While it was meant as a joke, I know for a fact Chaz would find room for those wayward bulbs, and treat them with the care and love they needed to bloom their best.

It's a sad story, Lizalily, but one with the happiest of endings! I know how much you love all of your children!

Larissa, there were days I wished for a large enough basket to fit my three kids... but all the other days, I'd fight anyone to keep them! As much as we joke about it, it's at this time of year that I'm glad everything worked out exactly as it has!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

OK, I've ordered the shrubbery for the front of the house. You can all start loading your horrendous hippis into baskets, bags, boxes, blanket, sheets, etc. Chase will just have to deal with the crowd...LOL

Liza, it took a special person to be able to do what you son's birth mother did. We've experience living with children who were not so lucky.

I grew up in a home with my 4 other blood siblings and foster children in and out of the home, the most at one time 10 kids total. I can't imagine how my mother did it. My mothers side of the family all took in foster children, needless to say this time of year was always a joyous time in our households. Even in years when there was no money we all celebrated christmas together and shared gifts. The foster children always got what we got, no better no worse. Even those who arrived the day before Christmas! Often there were up to 45 or more children celebrating at my grandmothers home. 37 of them her grandchildren. Needless to say, I like noise and confusion, (at other homes) it drives Chase crazy! LOL

We're heading to visit our families this week and I look forward to the noise, confusion, arguments, crowding, but especially to the love. And after 3 days I will so look forward to coming home to the peace and quiet of a house with no children! LOL

To all of my hippi family, I wish you warmth, safety, food on your tables, and love in your hearts. Happy Christmahaunakwanzaka to all.

Chaz

This is the view from my kitchen window this morning. Almost 2 feet of snow this weekend here on top of the hill.

{{gwi:68880}}

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I joke about wringing my kids' necks all the time but I sure wouldn't trade them for anything in the whole wide world :-) I lost a daughter in July of 2006. It's a really weird numb feeling but it reminds me to cherish everything and everyone that I have with me. It's a great Christmas and I hope EVERYONE will get to be with their loved ones this year :-) Look at that lovely winter scene, Chaz! Gorgeous!!! We have a ton of ice and snow here, as well. I'm trying to stay in the house until spring. lol Wish me luck with that ;-) I have some no ID's getting ready to bloom for me. I can't wait to ID them and share the pics with you guys.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Besides the four of us adopted children, there were always foster brothers and sisters living with us... some were only with us a short while, others were with us for many years... my adopted sister began as a foster child, actually. I clearly remember the day that my parents asked us if we wanted Traci to stay with us forever... we all were so excited to add her to the family! And I also remember the day my parents arrived home from Canada with my brother Tim... we were all waiting for him with gifts and big smiles!

Our household was always noisy, and our home was always full of children... I don't know how my Mom did it, either... it take very special people to open their hearts and homes to children who need the love and care that foster children need, and to adopt an entire family.

I am often asked why I never felt the need to look for my birth parents... as far as I'm concerned, I only have one set of parents, and I could never hurt them by making them think they were inadequate, or that I needed anything or anyone else in life. Sometimes it's best to leave sleeping dogs lay.

Larissa, I'm so very sorry for your loss... as a parent, I can only imagine the effect that would have on me. My heart goes out to you...

Chaz, you and I have very special families... and Lizalily's children are among the luckiest in the world, just as we are. And by the way, we're expecting about 6 more inches of snow, so get ready! It'll probably head your way next! That's a lovely photo... your gardens are fast asleep under a soft, white blanket of snow...

As we all know, it doesn't take money to make a wonderful Christmas... it takes giving.. and love and togetherness are the very finest gifts you can offer. I've left good wishes in other threads, but it never hurts to repeat those wishes... and so, I wish you all the love and togetherness, good health, happiness and peace of the season, extending to your families, as well.

We'll be going north to spend a few days with our children and grandchildren, so I'll be back around the 28th... play nice while I'm gone! :-)

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's okay, Jodi :-) I know I'll get to see her again. At least I got to have her for the short time I did. I count my blessings. You have to :-) We're all blessed.

15 years ago

Every year on my birthday I thank a woman I never knew for loving me enough to give me up at birth. I was raised by a great set of parents, who will always be my mom and dad. My mom always told me that I was the best gift anyone ever gave her. Awww!

Sounds like this is part Hippi adoptee forum!
    ;-)
    Kristi

• larschar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kristi, that's beautiful :-) Adoption stories really warm my heart. I would love the opportunity to do so someday. I'm very glad your birthmother put you in the position to be raised by such a loving set of parents. I love that your mom called you her best present ever. What a sweetheart! Hey, anyone want to trade divinity for bulbs? lol Just kidding. I've been cooking up a storm all day. This little lady here scorched what was supposed to turn into pralines. I suck. At least the black walnut divinity is yummy!

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Larissa- Did that Pink one set seed by chance? I was looking at the easytogrow website and I think that must be what it is or very close to it. I WANT that one! If you were so saddened by not getting a Stargazer, I'd be happy to trade my Stargazer for that pink one...hehe! Do you get the picture that I LOVE that one already??? HAHA!

All of your stories are so touching. I never know the right words to say, so I'll leave it at that. You guys are a blessed and blessing group for sure!

Chaz- Hope no one wanted to sit at those tables for a cup a joe...haha! Would you send some of that snow down here already? There is nothing better that a "snow day" to me! We haven't had one in years though...only ice days which are no fun unless broken bones and wrecked cars piled up are your cup of tea. HAHA!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm sure I'm repeating myself, which I tend to do a lot, but my Mom used to tell us that we were created IN her heart, not UNDER it... and that we were all special because we were chosen! I used to think I was part of a tiny minority as an adopted child, but I can see that there are many of us fortunate enough to be chosen, and raised by very special parents!

When my Mom passed away, it felt like I was suddenly disconnected from my past... like the last person who really knew me was gone, and my world felt tilted and empty for a time. I have a wonderful husband and great children, and they were a huge comfort through that time... I still miss Mom more than I can say, and it's been many years... it's the only loss that has ever affected me so deeply. I think it has a lot to do with being adopted.

Frank, even moving one gardening zone south has changed the winters I experience... we get more ice down here in Central Illinois, and up north we got a lot more snow. Visiting the kids for the Holidays was a trip! Their deck was covered in about two feet of snow, and back home we had ice storms and rain! Big difference! It's a lot easier to maneuver in snow than on ice!

I, too, like that deep pink flower Larissa has! It's really different than any pink I've seen so far!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Hey there guyz, remember "Chaz's Home for Wayward Bulbs and other horrendous plants",,,, LOL

Jodi, Frank, I'm unlucky enough to live one zone to far north to plant my hardy palms and bannanas but right smack dam^^ where I get the lovely pairing of snow and ice storms yearly! ugh.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I think Kristi is running a home for wayward and hideous plants, too... I'm shipping her my two-headed African Violet later in spring, when the weather breaks! I'm afraid I'll just kill it if I try to salvage it, and it's really ugly right now! I have confidence that she can save the poor thing, though!

It's nice to know that people like you guys are willing to take in the wayward, the unwanted, the abandoned plants and bulbs of this world, and rehabilitate them... making them into productive members of plant society! LOL!

Speaking of weather... today is sunny, no snow or ice, and the birds are singing out there... it's creepy because this is January! Aren't we supposed to be buried under snow, or something like that?

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Global weirding, my dear Jodi!

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Apparently so, Blanca! In fact, there are red-breasted robins cavorting near the gardens! It's sunny and beautiful, but it's still only about 17 degrees... it just feels strange to hear the birds singing in January... our planet is rapidly changing, I'm afraid!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

I really feel for the planet and our fellow inhabitants with this global warming and all. But the really selfish part of me wants to live here and have tropical weather. Tomorrow.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Me, too, Chaz... especially since it would take a large explosion or a small miracle to move Larry from this area of the country! He's adamant about staying in northern Illinois, and I can understand why... our children and grandchildren are here. But this is the modern world, and there are methods of fast travel! We could hop a plane or train and be back up north in no time!

I'm not happy about the changing environment, either, but it would be so nice to enjoy year 'round warmth! I know my bones would enjoy it!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Be careful what you wish for with global warming...it brought us the coldest year in many last year because it increased our cloud cover. I am hoping for some sunny days this spring and a summer of normal warmth with a long slow cooling in the autumn...that's the way it spozed ta bee!

• frank27603
    15 years ago

We're sitting at 58 degrees right now...not seasonable at all either. It will be 34 with wind one day and 70 and sunny the next...there is just no tellin'! I'm ready for spring already! Tropical weather here and NOW would be nice too Chaz!

-Frank

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions