SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Milkweed Scene

MissSherry
12 years ago

No plant is the center of activity like milkweed!

I made this picture this afternoon of A. curassavica flowers with three monarch cats and a pair of mating milkweed bugs. So far - knock on wood! - no aphids have showed up on the plants.

{{gwi:464193}}

The monarchs are continuing to grow and at a faster rate than earlier, it seems like.

The caged pipevine swallowtails are pupating - some have already done so, and the rest are stuck to the cage in the "C".

I'm growing two spicebushes in containers. I've already found two spicebush swallowtail eggs on the bigger one, but I plan on raising these on sassafras, since I'm trying to grow the spicebushes big enough to withstand possible assaults on them by little dogs. I'll probably be planting them out this fall, and I have to do so inside the front yard fence to protect them from browsing deer, but this is where the dogs play, so a real small bush might get trampled. It'll also be closer to the hose, which is good, since my last spicebush died during a dry spell when I forgot to water it. Inside the fence, they'll be right in line to get water when I water other things in that area. And my front yard is shady, just what they seem to like, at least down here.

I'm finding palamedes swallowtail eggs everywhere, and I brought in another egg that almost got eaten by whatever bit into the leaf it was on, probably a deer, maybe a rabbit. My other egg is now about a third? instar cat, doing well. It's in the cage with two little spicebush cats.

The American ladies have all pupated and should be emerging soon, and most of the red admirals are in their chrysalis.

I keep seeing tiger swallowtails, but I haven't found any more eggs.

I brought in three sleepy orange cats to finish raising, also.

The Carolina wrens fledged today, and their parents are flying right and left with thingies in their mouth feeding them.

Everything is going VERY well this spring!

Sherry

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations