SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Great Butterfly Day!

MissSherry
14 years ago

Maybe it's not going to be a bad butterfly year after all!

I saw a tiger swallowtail - maybe the same male - and a female palamedes swallowtail and a female spicebush swallowtail! The spicebush swallowtail nectared on a native azalea in my yard so intently I was able to easily see the blue on her hindwings. Hopefully, she'll find a mate - I'll be checking sassafras for eggs.

The female palamedes nectared on some verbena I've planted in the raised bed where P. incarnata is coming back up. I got her picture through the fence -

{{gwi:463255}}
I also saw my first red admiral of the season! My false nettles are up to about ?2' tall now, so there's plenty of food for cats. This red admiral was sort of smallish, though, so it was probably a male. Now if I could just see an American lady and get some cats on the cudweed, which is just now matured.

I also saw a mystery butterfly. It looks like a butterfly I saw at Cypress Creek Landing, which I couldn't positively identify back then. I tried to get a close up enough picture of it that you could see detail, but I could only get a bad picture of it when it landed on a porch post. Do you think it's a southern pearly-eye? Creole pearly-eye? Tawny emperor? I edited this picture, trying to make it clearer, and in the process, it shows red that I didn't actually see -

{{gwi:463256}}
Southern and creole pearly-eyes use canes as host plants. I don't have any on my property, but there are plenty of ponds and creeks nearby where cane probably does grow. I don't have any hackberries here - they won't grow for me - but sugarberries/Celtis laevigata, a close relative, grow near creeks.

The pipevine swallowtails are still laying eggs on my pipevines, and another female emerged today to join the crowd out there.

Another male luna moth emerged today, real big, real green and gorgeous!

My two orders of plants came yesterday, and I've been outside planting a lot of them today. The cassia that I ordered from Almost Eden is supposed to be C. floribunda? or something like that, but the leaves and the growth pattern of the plant is exactly like C. bicapsularis/Christmas cassia, which is okay with me - I know that the sulphurs love Christmas cassia. Speaking of which, I saw some cloudless sulphurs this afternoon.

Sherry

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction