SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

American Lady

MissSherry
10 years ago

I went out to the garden today to do some more weeding and saw an American lady flitting around one of my newly planted pearly everlastings. I didn't have my new camera with me, because I haven't gotten my 'waist purse' yet, so I only had the old one. I'm really surprised to see the pearly everlasting/Anaphalis margaritacea already getting action, since I just planted it day before yesterday - the stems are still bent over from being in the shipping box. The leaves of pearly everlasting look exactly like those of Gnaphalium obtusifolium/rabbit tobacco, which is coming up in places on my property. I cut some of the rabbit tobacco and fed it to the ALs in a cage on the porch, and one of them is finishing it off right now, so they take to it readily. I'm hoping that A. margaritacea/pearly everlasting will adapt itself as well here as rabbit tobacco does. If it doesn't, I'll just transplant some rabbit tobacco to my garden, but I hope the everlasting thrives, because the flowers appear to be much prettier -

Anyway, here's a picture of the American lady flitting around one of the plants -

{{gwi:462735}}

And here she is on a different plant laying an egg. She stayed in this position for a LONG time, considering they only lay their eggs singly -

{{gwi:462736}}

I went into the house and got my new camera, so I would have a better macro lens to make a picture of the egg. It looked like she spun silk all over the egg, which would explain why she took so long -

{{gwi:462737}}

Sherry

Comments (8)

Sponsored