SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Excited, Excited, Excited!!!

MissSherry
10 years ago

Can you tell I'm excited? :/

I took some verbenas to the garden I just bought at Walmart to plant in a pot out there, and I saw a pearl crescent flitting around. When I saw her flitting around the Georgia asters, I stood perfectly still. She stayed and stayed in the asters, and after she left, I carefully lifted up a leaf and found a large cluster of tiny eggs!!

I've never seen a pearl crescent caterpillar, which is apparently not unusual, since the lepidoptera author David Wagner says he's never seen one either. I've read that they use asters, so, I planted several varieties of asters last year, including some Georgia asters in a prominent spot in my garden. They're VERY vigorous, having spread from one plant all over the raised bed they're in, and last year they grew tall and made beautiful, large asters.

Anyway, I've been looking for pearl crescent/pearly crescentspot eggs and caterpillars for about ?14 years, with no success. It feels beyond wonderful that she found and used my Georgia asters - YAY!!

I'll get a picture when I can, but I don't want to go back now, because she might want to lay more eggs.

Sherry

Comments (17)

Sponsored