SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

We're snowed in

karyn1
14 years ago

I have never in my life seen so much snow! We have drifts in the yard that are taller then me. I can barely even walk in it and it's still coming down. One of my neighbor's trees came down and took out the one side of the pool fence and a portion of their yard fence. I don't know if there's any damage to the pool deck. It's too dark to see and I can't get to the pool anyway. lol My oldest son and 2 of his friends were on the roof from 1 to 4 am shoveling the snow off. We have a flat roof with multiple sky lights and are afraid to let too much snow pile up on it. You should see the piles of snow we have from what was shoveled off of the roof!!!!! They'll probably have to go back up later today to remove the snow that's still falling. This is unbelieveable. I really didn't think we'd get this much. We were and maybe even still are under blizzard conditions. I'm not sure I've ever heard the weather service declare an actual blizzard here. To top this off they are calling for more snow on Tuesday!

Comments (48)

• pearlgirl
    14 years ago

Gosh, Karyn....sounds more like Alaska! I haven't checked
    our forcast down this way but I'm hoping that it's
    nothing like yours. We're prone to power failure in such
    conditions as yours. Stay warm!
    Margaret

• figara
    14 years ago

Oh, Karyn. I was hopping that this will be the last of it until I read that will be more snow on Tuesday.It is a terrible weather all over the world. My brother in Romania tells me that it's so much snow and temperatures reached -21F during few night.There are record temperature and people are dying on the streets.
    Stay warm and dry.
    Hugs, Pat

• Related Discussions

Gazing balls

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Mjowest, you may want to check in the Christmas decs at Walmart. They have some pale blue and clear balls... some glass, some plastic. They range in price from a couple of dollars up to around $6.00 for the large ones. I bought quite a few since I'm going to use some of the smaller ones as "bubbles" in the birdbath next Spring. Susan
    ...See More

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Q

Comments (10)
    When it snows really deep and you go stand outside in the yard it is like the world has gotten taller or somehow closer to you, everything is puffed up. As long as it doesn't bring down the hoopey house roof, which I doubt it will. A nice thin layer of snow or ice makes a wonderful blanket and actually helps keep the inside of the structure warm. Back home on the flat lands it rarely snowed like this - there were always 20 mile an hour winds to blow it sideways. Cold is a lot easier to take when there is no wind. Now I just gotta finish up some work, transfer a bunch of files to my laptop and sneak outta here while no one is looking.
    ...See More

Phila area KT'ers - Snow???

Q

Comments (14)
    Here's your Philly forecast: Snow. Some sleet is possible in the early evening. The snow will be heavy at times. Snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches by morning. Brisk with lows in the mid 20s. North winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent. Tomorrow: Snow in the morning...then snow showers likely in the afternoon. Total snow accumulation of 8 to 14 inches. Brisk with highs in the upper 20s. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
    ...See More

Snow coming in!!

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, Sharon, I make the rules so of course, we can have school when the public school is closed, but is it fair to do that?? "All the other kids don't have to do school?" Really, my kids don't know any better; we beat by a different drum. I gave them work the day it was actually snowing and we were inside, then I gave them a 'snow day' yesterday when they were able to go out and play in it with the neighborhood kids. Public school was closed again today (& I expect will be tomorrow too) but we had extra curricular activities that weren't shut down, so we did those. I refuse to pay good $$ for something and then miss it for no good reason. So today was music classes and physical education class. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!?
    ...See More
  • chena
    14 years ago

Jake may have a hard time finding friends to come stay over if the snow doesn't stop!! LOL
    I think you should get that recipe for grown-up Hot Chocolate looks like you are going to need it..
    Stay safe and Warm!!!

Kylie

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Karyn

I am so sorry, I have not seen that kind of snow fall in many years, but I do not forget how tough it is to dig out, just to go to work.... oh I am so happy those days are behind me! Weather has been so very strange this year, family and friends in Ontario are so happy to have so little snow this year. And here in the south we are getting rained out! (My yard looks like a lake) I am sure to lose many plants to this wet weather!

Oh well the daffodils and hydrangea will love it!

Stay warm and safe!

Frances

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Karyn,
    I know what you mean we are just above Baltimore just inside of central PA. We had 25" the last time we checked and it is still snowing.

Denise

• haase
    14 years ago

All I can say is: be very careful when you are driving. Stay safe, dry and warm!

Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid I don't think we have to worry about driving for a few days. We can't even get the 4WD out! The kids are jumping off the roof into the snow. It actually looks like fun and I'd love to try it but DH would probably kill me. lol We have about 3' of snow and drifts much higher then that. It's about 7' against the side of the greenhouse. Bruce taped heavy plastic over the greenhouse so that the snow would slide off. I'm glad he did or the GH probably would have collapsed. Here's some pics from a little earlier and it's still snowing. BTW DH, the tallest one, is almost 6' 2" and you can see how high the snow is coming up on him. Kyle's up to his neck and Bailey (my shepard doberman mix) is completely under the snow!

{{gwi:455938}}
    {{gwi:455939}}
    {{gwi:455940}}
    {{gwi:455941}}
    {{gwi:455942}}
    {{gwi:455943}}

• chena
    14 years ago

HOLY CR@P!!! Should I send the Hilo for you?? BUURRR!!!
    They do look like they are having fun..

Kylie

• haase
    14 years ago

One thing is for sure: this is going to build memories that neither of you, especially your kids, will ever forget.
    So there IS something wonderful about all of this.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of snow! Karyn, do they have super warm thermos under those, what appear to be light weight jackets? I would be so wrapped up with tons of layers and parkas that I probably wouldn't even be able to move, LOL!

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

Karyn, I'm just gonna say it: that's a lotta dang snow you got there! One other thing: Glad I don't have it. We know about big snowstorms here in Colorado and I don't envy you, but as long as you have food, water, and heat, enjoy!
    Diane

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Karyn, Did you measure to see what you got? We got 25". Supposed to be below zero temps with the wind chill tonight & the next couple days. I guess that means this isn't going to melt right away.

Everything is closed & there is a snow emergency which means they fine you if they catch you out driving. The main roads are finally clear but there is only 6" of shoulder. The snow piled up on the car & truck in my driveway is several feet over my head. DS shoveled out a path from the porch to the road & left to go shovel other people out for $. There is nowhere to put it & you can only throw so high so the older people pay them to do it. My kids always made a fortune in the winter.

We even had to shovel a spot for the 150 lb dog because it was too deep for her to pee. The dogs are loving it & I just keep letting them in & out all day so they can keep playing.

Linda

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, I wish I was there. I would love to play in the snow. We had a sunny day today, but tomorrow more rain, and its suppost to get back down to 32 degrees. I wish the mesquite trees would bloom, thats a sign we use to determine when the freezing weather is over. NO blooms yet. Barbra,

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

Tell me about it. I was out FOUR TIMES shovelling. I think we got somewhere between 2 and 3 FEET (not inches, FEET!)!

So tired. Well, I needed the exercise anyway. Finally stopped snowing around 5:00 pm. I shoveled my driveway all the way to the street, so there's now a wall of snow at the street. I wonder if the plows will come thru tomorrow. Maybe the next day. Maybe not at all?

• taz56
    14 years ago

Wow that is so pretty, I saw on the news you and others were getting a lot of snow! Becareful if you're out side,
    better yet stay in were it's warm, sorry the tree fell on
    your fence, heavy snow will bring um down every time! Stay
    warm and safe!
    Susan

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

My goodness, I feel for you Karyn, thats alot of snow, you
    guys too Linda and Dave!
    We just got 5-6 inches yesterday, thats hardely anything compared to what you all have!
    Keep warm,

Karen

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Oh my Karyn, that is a lot of snow! The tree is just beautiful with her warm blanket and snow encrusted branches though.

Pam

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THERE'S SO MUCH ******* SNOW!!!!!!!!!! Everything is pretty much at a standstill. Thank goodness we have power. It's flickered a few times and each time I thought I'd have a heart attack. My friend's electricity is still out and they are so cold. It's 10 F this morning and is only supposed to get to about 20 F so the snow is going to be sticking around. No melting anytime soon. We brought a yardstick out and measured in several areas. We had anywhere between 34" to the yardstick disappearing a couple inches below the soil!!!!! And to think we're supposed to get another 4" on Tuesday. There's going to be a local population explosion Oct/Nov here. LOL

• oxmix
    14 years ago

Very glad to hear that you didnt loose your power, I know you have so many plants that depend on the greehouse heat.

We heard that there was widespread power outages in your area. Here in Connecticut, we didnt get a flake, that is very strange for this type of snow.

Cheers! Barry

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

Wow Karyn, that's a lot of snow. So glad you didn't lose electricity and hope it stays that way. It sure is pretty though.

Jill

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn, praying your electricity won't go off, and that your neighbor has a couple of fireplaces or at least a generator to heat up part of the house. Snow might be pretty, but I bet it's no fun when it keeps you from your normal day of living.

Hi Barry, glad you didn't get a snow store!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Duh, "snow storm"!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No problems with the power here but there's several thousand people that are out in the DC metro area. My friend is still out and her house is freezing. She doesn't have a fireplace or a generator. She's stuck. They can't get their cars out of their driveway to go anywhere warm. We still don't have a generator but at least we have a couple fireplaces. The governor was just on the news saying that maybe the plows would get into the neighborhoods by Thursday or Friday. Not that I use it but there's barely any public transportation here either. No train or bus service and the subway is only running on the underground tracks.

We have some more damage. There's a wooden covering over the outside wet bar that's about 15 x 15 which collapsed. I don't care about the cover, I just hope that there's no damage to the bar itself.

The kids are still entertaining themselves by jumping off the roof. LOL

• figara
    14 years ago

So sorry for the damages. Karyn, I would not let the kids walk to much on the roof, you do not want any damage in there.

Try to stay positive. Soon will be spring.
    Hugs
    Pat

• haase
    14 years ago

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, Karyn. Too much of a good thing can indeed be too much.
    I agree with Pat, I would keep the kids off of the roof from now on.

Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well fun jumping off the roof is over. They did it so much that the snow underneath is packed down and rock hard. Bruce managed to get the explorer out and drove around a bit. He said the roads are horrible and most are still impassable. I'm not even going to try with my van. Schools are closed thru Tuesday and I doubt they'll open on Wednesday even if we don't get the storm that's expected to dump more snow. Thank goodness for my E-reader and the DVR because there isn't a whole lot to do around here. I did start another tray of brug seeds.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now the weather service is calling for another 5-10" tomorrow!!!!!!!

• lboyce
    14 years ago

Karyn.....we "lucked" out with the storm you got!! We without fail always get hit hard but not a flake!! Wish I could say the same for Tuesday into Wednesday...radio is saying at least a foot! At this rate we'll have snow in July!! Sure hope your temps warm up fast!!

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The predictions for tomorrow have changed from 5-10 to 18- 20+ inches. It's been so cold that nothing has really melted yet, just compressed a bit. At this rate I have no idea when things will get back to normal. I think I'm going to take the 4WD when DH gets home just to try and get the hell out of here. I have no idea where I'll go, just out of the house. lol People are getting around on cross country skis.

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Only supposed to get 6-12 here. Thank heaven for small favors.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is so backwards. Linda you are the one that's supposed to be getting all the snow. Not me!

There was actually something positive about this snowfall. I was looking out my bedroom window and saw what looked like flames shooting up from a neighbors house. I asked my son to get on the roof to see if it really was a fire. I didn't want to call the fire dept for a false alarm and make them drive thru this mess. Evidently their chimney caught on fire. Even though they were downstairs they didn't know it. All the snow probably stopped the roof from catching on fire. I asked David (the owner of the house) how long it had been since he had the fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned and he couldn't remember. Folks please hire a chimney sweep every year before you light your first fire! It was pretty cool watching the fire truck with the cherry picker. Not only that but I guess because there were several fire trucks the county sent a plow and they made a pass through a few of the streets in our neighborhood.

• haase
    14 years ago

I am aware of the fact that I am repeating myself. But I am very old, and very wise (LOL):

DO BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHEN YOU DRIVE !!!

Hugs
    Ingrid

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Karyn, last winter we had a chimney fire and 3 fire trucks came. Talk about embarassing. It was at night and the top of our chimney was shinning like a beacon. Everyone in the neibourhood was watching as the one fire truck was jacked up off the road to extend the ladder over the power lines to our chimney. They had flood light on the house combined with all the flashing red lights it was a true spectacle. We were the Saturday night entertainment:) Oh, and by the way we clean our chmney first thing every fall. However, if you use wet wood or wood that is still green or even certain types of wood, chimney fires will still happen.
    This year we put the bulk of our wood in the barn where it stayed nice and dry.
    We are supposed to get up to 20 inches more too. I am so glad we bought a snowblower last week.
    Denise

• princealbert
    14 years ago

Karen,
    So you had to set the neighbors house on fire to get the city to snow plow your street. (rotfl)
    That's cheating to get preferential treatment.LOL

Sorry the neighbor had the fire but thankful that the house was OK.
    Stay warm,
    pa.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PA I was thinking the same thing. I went to the grocery store this morning and was talking to a few people. I told them if they have a fire in their neighborhood they'd get their street plowed. lol

Denise just don't get over 30" of snow. Once it gets that deep the snow blowers don't work. Ours is sitting in the garage being completely useless : (

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Karyn, My husband usually goes out to use it when it reaches 12". He went out this morning first thing and it was at 15" from snowing last night. It looks like my husband will be going out again because we are at 10" now.

Denise

• chena
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for ya'll!! I couldn't do it..LOL

Kylie

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

25" last time & 12" yesterday & this am. It is all blowing around in all directions now & filling in where it was shoveled out. Lows in the teens & highs in the 20s will not melt it for a while.

I did have a sign of spring...the quail are starting to lay eggs again.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have almost 5' on the ground. The boys shoveled a path outside but we're pretty much trapped now. It was kind of fun for a couple days just because there was so much snow but now it's really getting to me. Here's a pic of the path the kids shoveled so that Bailey could go outside.
    {{gwi:27777}}
    Here's what's outside one of the sliding glass doors opening onto the deck. My poor cat doesn't know what to make of it.
    {{gwi:27778}}

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

We are now at 52" of snow with the past double whammy snow storms. They are now saying we may get more monday. I don't think it will be alot though. At least I hope not.

There is no where to put the snow:) It is getting too high to lift a 20 pound shovel of snow up high enough to get it over the hugh snow pile now. And the snow piles are even higher than the snowblowers ability to throw the snow.

sigh.....I feel your pain Karyn. My husband was finally able to make it to work in Hunt Valley today. But I don't think I will venture out until tomorrow because he has the 4 wheel drive.
    Denise

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Denise your DH comes to Hunt Valley all the way from PA for work? How far a drive is that? I'm getting out today. DH said that most roads are passable. Of course he's using the 4WD and I have a mini van but I'm going for it. I can't imagine what the mall parking lot will be like because half the parking spaces will be covered with plowed snow. I haven't been out since Tuesday so I have no idea what everything looks like beyond my yard but I can't stand this any longer. BTW I keep praying that more snow on Mon is just a nasty rumor. lol

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Karyn,It takes my husband 35 minutes usually but it took him a hour and a half today. He said cars were stuck and blocking the one lane plowed roads up here through out the countryside. He said it was like a snow maze trying to get to work. At the worst spots the snow was higher than his 4X4 and the road was so narrow that the mirrors were nearly scraping the snow.

I did venture out today everything looked good at first but on my way home I took a different route and I am sorry I did. I thought all the roads must be in decent shape since the ones I had seen when I went into town looked ok but on the way home I had to keep turning around trying to find one I could get down with my vehicle. I still am not use to driving on these snow covered hilly roads. I am use to the flat land of MD and DE. It definitely is scarey when you start sliding down one of these hills and just pray that you will stop before going into a feild or ditch. I think I will wait till Sunday before I go out again.

Denise

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't realize that Hunt Valley was so close to you. I had no real problem going out today. Once I got out of my neighborhood most roads were plowed to the blacktop. The only problem was that some roads lost lanes along the way so traffic would bottleneck. The mall was pretty crowded but it was so nice to get out. On the way home Jake and his friend got out of my car and helped 4 people whose cars had gotten stuck on our road. One of them was our mailman. At least I finally got some mail today but I wonder if he'll come back tomorrow? LOL

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

Most of the roads are clear now but the shoulder in front of my house is is still covered. I can tell there are trucks under the huge piles of snow. DHs kids are supposed to be back tomorrow. One was at his mothers & the other one went to visit his daughter in NC & couldn't get home for almost an extra week with the airports closed. They are young & can shovel, I'm too lazy. My DS shoveled a path to the road & walks to work. Good enough. The electric was on & off with all the wind we had. It blew a line down across the street into the neighbor's front yard. DS was out shoveling & it scared the crap out of him! I'd love t start some seeds but I'm afraid the elec will go off again so I'll wait a little while longer.

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda lets just hope we never see another storm like this in MD. You get significant snow in your area but this was even a lot for you. I wonder how long until the giant snow piles are gone? Traffic will be a bi*ch until then. I wonder what Dave's commute from VA to DC will be like if he doesn't take public transportation?

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Karyn, what good hearted kids you have. That was nice of them to help dig out all of those cars. Wish I had that much energy. Just using the snow blower tired me out. Our road is completely clear and we finally got mail yesterday. Yeah! We did not have mail for 5 days. I am happy things are starting to get back to normal. Hopefully this snow that we are suppose to get will not amount to anything.

Denise

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

Hi Karyn, did not read the messages and got to do it later, but just wanted to say that NO...NOTHING changed while I was gone :-(. Are out yet? Hang in there!!!

Hugs

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lucy. Glad you are finally back. I knew you'd be busy with the family but was starting to wonder. I don't think you've ever been absent for that long since you joined this forum! lol

I got out the end of last week and they finally plowed my road on Sat. Today the kids went back to school on time but I do have mixed feeling about it because walking is really dangerous. There's no sidewalks and snow is piled up 8' on the sides of the roads so you can't really see if people are trying to cross an intersection not to mention that they have to walk in the street. Traffic is a BI*CH!!!!!!!! I had an appointment at noon yesterday. The place I was going is normally 20-25 minutes away. It took 2 3/4 hours to get there!!!!! Even the 10 minute drive to Kyle's preschool has taken 30-45 minutes in the morning. It's not going to get any better until the snow melts because there's nowhere to put it even if they tried to remove it. This really has been the storm from He11!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor