SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaj_gw

Semi-Hydro for Hipps?

seaj
12 years ago

Hello everybody!

I has hoping to get some bulbs this year for the holiday season, but this forum has made me put off my plans. The amaryllis (now I know they are really Hippeastrum) displays I always walk by during this time of year always remind me of the flowers my father use to take care of for my grandmother. Back in the day, our patio was littered with 3 gallon pots with Appleblossom hipps that bloomed in the spring, but they left with my grandma when she moved out. Back to my original plans, all I was planning on doing this year was buying some of those holiday bulb growing kits, but research on this forum has informed me that those kits aren't made for long term success, and that the bulbs sold in big box stores are often diseased.

My current living situation does not allow me to plant anything in the ground, so my new plans are to buy some containers, put together some gritty mix, buy some bulbs online, and hope for the best. The only plants that I have real experience with are airplants, water lettuce, water hyacinth, and algae. At least if I fail with these bulbs I will most likely at least get to see them bloom once.

Now on to the thread title. I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I would really like to learn about everyone's experiences with semi-hydroponics when it comes to growing hippeastrum. I've seen a few threads that mention growing hipps this way and I would really like to hear more from people who grow their plants using this technique. Is growing these plants semi-hydroponically really as simple as I've read? It seems so foolproof. Or would gritty mix give me a greater chance of success? I was thinking that since the bulbs I'll be buying will be coming out of dormancy, they'll easily adapt to a semi-hydro setup easily.

Thanks for all the great info already posted, and Happy Holidays!

Jared

Comments (29)

Sponsored
More Discussions