SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blayz_gw

never again shall the cold rain fall on these!

blayz
16 years ago

Ok, Ive just caught onto a silly mistake ive been making over the years, and I'm kicking myself in the butt for it. I can't believe it took me this long to catch on...(berate berate berate)

I am in the practice of putting my amaryllis outdoors for the summer with my orchids and other things, as is common practice. some of you lucky folks get to do this year round (envious look). There is a hidden danger lurking out here on our wet coast. It's called cold rain. Even in our warmest months, night temps here tend to get as low as 10-12 C, and if there is moisture around (usually theres lots of dew and showers) disaster strikes. My bulbs get crown rot. should I be lazy in moving them in the fall, the danger curve steepens.

each year I have lost one or two varieties to this slow death. the first symtom is usually a rotting and withering of the newest leaves emerging from the bulb. Its hard to stop once it gets started. Just this month, I stared sadly at the carcass of Vivaldi, a trusted favorite of mine. As I cut the bulb apart to (hopefully) propagate it by scale, I made a vow to solve the problem (amidst some creative cursing).

The solution is as simple as the cause...cover. I plan to make a simple, crude lean to of clear plastic to keep the worst of the dew and rain off. So let this little shameful tale of mine be a warning....bewaaaaare the coooold rain!!!

Blayz

Comments (28)

Sponsored
More Discussions