SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Winter Sowing butterfly plants

Liz
10 years ago

Hello everyone! It's great to be back on the forum after a winter's "vacation." It was a horrible winter here in the Northeast, actually. We had snowstorm after snowstorm-really, it was a banner year for us. We've had big storms before, but never such a succession of storms, as far as I can remember.

Anyway, I am looking forward to butterfly season, and I posted this question on the winter sowing forum, but I thought I would ask you all as well.

First of all, most of my sprouts are up! This is my first year winter sowing and I was thrilled today to go out and see that most of my jugs have little sprouts! I am doing plants for a butterfly garden, mostly native.

I wanted to add some butterfly annuals as well, so last weekend I planted several jugs with Mexican sunflower, zinnia, and Yvonne's Salvia. I live in New Jersey and the temperatures are starting to moderate here, but we could still get frost for another four or five weeks. Right now I have the jugs indoors, where they haven't popped yet since it's only been a few days. I don't really have enough light inside, though, and I would like to get them out into the sun as soon as possible. Is it safe to move them outside yet?

(I was hoping to get them under fluorescent lights since I have a setup in the basement, but I had the basement waterproofed this winter and everything is still at sixes and sevens down there and the lights are not set up yet.:-(. That is why I find myself in difficulties.)

Thank you for any input!
Liz

Comments (6)

Sponsored