SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Cactus/succulent recommendations for wall plantings?

castorp
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know almost nothing about succulents and cactus, but I have noticed that most of the plants that look good on my patio are succulents--a silvery Kalanchoe, an aloe, and some little round cacti--all gifts from friends. Though I try to keep the window box, hanging pots, baker's rack, and other vertical spaces planted with pretty annuals, I rarely manage, but the succulents always look good, season after season, year after year, with almost no care. And they seem to really like living in small pots where most other plants get root bound quickly.

So I was thinking, maybe I should plant lots more succulents on the patio.

I've checked out some books on cacti and succulents, but I was hoping you all could give me some pointers.

I'm looking for easy plants that thrive in small pots and in extreme light conditions--full afternoon sun at certain times of year, plus glare off stucco walls and pavement-, and bright shade at other times, when the walls cast shadows. I can move the pots about from season to season, to help them get the correct light, but they still need to be fairly tolerant to do well on this patio.

I'm especially interested in plants that trail and bloom, or creep upwards, because many of them will growing directly on the walls. But I'm interested in hearing about anything that will thrive in these conditions.

I should also mention that the summers here in Florida can be extremely humid. Geraniums, for example, always rot, even when I keep them beneath the eaves, the humidity is so high, so I'm looking for succulents that can tolerate high humidity too.

Thank you!

Bill

Comments (11)