SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

floppy Fennel

Mary Leek
13 years ago

I am attempting to grow this one more year before I give up. The BST love it for laying eggs and the eggs are so easy to spot on the fennel that I'd like to have better success this year. Plus, it smells so good! :-)

My problem seems to be that the green fennel flops at the base of the plant. I purchased one potted plant earlier with two stalks in the pot. They flop at the base, where the soil meets the top growth. Can I pull up soil around that base onto the green stalk growth without harming the plants? It is bulb fennel, if that makes a difference. I can't believe this is the way they're supposed to grow as the plant would spend it's time slumped over on the ground once it got any top growth to it.

I've also started bronze fennel from seed and it is showing it's first little fennel leaves. I'll see how that does started from seed.

One other question, please. I'm in zone 7b and we get hot, humid summers. Would you provide some shade for fennel here or should it be grown in full sun in my zone?

As always, my thanks for all your helpful advice. You guys have taught me so much about butterfly gardening and I am so enjoying my efforts to create a successful butterfly habitat.

Mary

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!