SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianliston

Starting An Indoor Cacti and Succulent Garden

BrianListon
13 years ago

I don't know much about plants and plant growing at all. I've never grown anything myself, other that helping my mom in her garden when I was a kid.

Regardless, I've decided I want to create a small collection of cacti and succulents inside my apartment. I'd like to create a small landscape with my plants, not just set them up beside each other in pots. To do this I was thinking of buying an 11" x 22" x 2 1/2" tray and repotting 5 or so pants together, to create a miniature landscape. I'm attracted to the alien appearances of some cacti and succulents, and would probably add small sculptures of my own among them.

I'm telling you all this because I think I need some help to realize my vision. I have several, very novice questions.

What plants will work best together, planted in the same enviroment? I have bought a Haworthia, a hybrid zebra plant, to start myself off, but I don't know if it will play well with others.

Do plants that need different care (sunlight, feeding) suffer when planted near each other? Could I kill a plant that needs less water when I'm watering one nearby that needs more?

Is repotting really realistic, or should I just keep the plants in their own pot, and maybe place each pot within a more decorative tray, instead of traumatizing them by placing them in such a large place.

I'd love hearing some suggestions, and experiences of your own!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert