SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riely7

Can a Jade Plant be in Desert Conditions with Bearded Dragon?

riely7
13 years ago

I went out to buy a jade cactus to put in a large tank with my bearded dragon, but I wasn't paying much attention and ended up with a jade plant rather than cactus. I'll be keeping the plant, but I need to know a few things before I put it in with my lizard:

A) I got the plant from home depot, where it is very cold and reasonably humid, and my lizard tank is pretty hot and dry. Will that work? I plan on keeping the plant in a pot so I can take it in and out when necessary.

B) The pot the plant came in was obviously way too small; the plastic was torn open by the expansion of the roots so I got a bigger container, but I'm not sure what kind of soil to use, shouldn't it be in sand? And will it be okay without fertiliser? I don't want to expose my lizard to any such chemicals.

C) What will the plant do to the humidity of the tank? The tank is glass, four feet long, two feet wide, three feet tall with a screen top and the humidity needs to stay below 50% maximum. Is that possible?

D) During the day I have full spectrum lighting in the tank for about 10 hours with temperatures that range from around 110F degrees on the warm side and 80F on the cool side. At night, temperatures drop to about 70F. Is this too much sun or heat?

E) And, finally, will someone explain the overall difference between the jade plant and cactus and tell me if it's a good idea in the first place to put this plant in desert conditions with a somewhat large desert lizard?

Thanks for reading my lengthy issue. :)

Comments (23)