SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Fennel bought at Ace

Lisa_H OK
14 years ago

What is the likelihood the fennel I bought from Ace was sprayed with some type of insecticide? It was labeled "Chef Jeff's" Florence Fennel.

How long does insecticide last?

Lisa

Comments (9)

• texaspuddyprint
    14 years ago

Chances are high for pesticides if you are buying from a chain store since they get their plants from growers who mass produce plants to be sold because they look pretty and not ugly looking because they've been chewed up by caterpillars.

Your best bet is to ask - but even then they might not know since they were bought from another company.

However, on a good note - since fennel is an herb and is primarily to be used for consumption they may not have sprayed it with pesticides - because afterall, it's going to be eaten by humans. Yet, there's no telling what amounts of pesticide residue remains - and that can still affect a small caterpillar.

But then again, you just never know. Some pesticides wear off after a couple of weeks others can remain in the soil for more than two years. They might have contaminated the soil in the pot as well.

Not much help, I know but it's something everyone that raises butterflies has to consider.

Do you have any organic nurseries around you? You might also look for nurseries that sell starter stock.

~ Cat

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

OT: Lisa, I have potted up my Tropical Milkweed and will share several with you. I would like to make sure they are off to a good start, so give it a few days.

I was hoping to be able to pot up some of the other species milkweed that are still growing in their seed pots so I could share some of them with you. One is A. purpurescens which can take some shade, and actually prefers it in its natural habitat. The others are sun milkweeds. Can't wait for you to get some of these, too.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Susan!!! Are you going this weekend? I'll be at the swap, or at least I am planning on it.

Lisa

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I don't think I'm going to make it, unfortunately. Health issues, darn it.

I was hoping I would have some plants to take, but things are moving rather slowly this year, especially with these occasional cold snaps we have been having.

BTW, made it over to Horn's today and Kenna and I purchased 3 plants for a container we are going to make of a Gerbera daisy that is pink with white edge, a pink almost white Nicotiana, and a dark pink Pentas lanceolata. I think they are going to look gorgeous together and will make the hummers, moths, and butterflies very happy!

I am also growing some Frank's Extra Large Dill plants in peat pots (they dislike root disturbance) and if they come up I will save one for you.

Would you also like some of the red Salvias I am growing from seed. I will have Forest Fire, Lady in Red, for sure. They just came up, and hopefully will have S. darcyi, subrotunda, greggii, and the species coccinea. All of these are red - for the hummers and the Cloudless Sulphurs. I also have a Salvia 'Hot Lips' that I want to take cuttings of very soon. It is a gorgeous Salvia with a red hood and white lips - very different looking. I got it from dogwooderitternet. I have developed a passion for Salvias this year because they are so attractive to hummers and butterflies.

Haven't seen too many butterflies here lately, though, what with this cool, rainy weather we are having and looks like we will continue having this week. We'll probably be crying for cool, rainy weather in July and August.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan, oh, I hope you feel better soon!

Your container sounds beautiful. The butterflies will love it.

I love salvias. I'll be happy to take anything you want to give me :)

Lisa

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

This weather isn't helping move things along very quickly. I keep having to move the baby plants up under the pine tree and the bench in order to keep them from being beaten to death from the rain. Grrrr.....this is not helping my back and knees at all, but I really want all of my plants to survive to the next stage of growth, you know?

Exactly what butterfly host plants do you have so far, Lisa? So, I can get an idea of what I have that you might want to include in your garden? I have some babies up of Button Bush (Cephalanthus occidentalis) and if they do well, it is a great nectar plant and Sandy had I believe Cecropia moth caterpillars on hers last year that she raised. So gorgeous.

I also have seedlings outside of Lobelia cardinalis if you don't have that, and seedlings of Plantago major that is another host for the Buckeyes. They will do well in part shade but can get out of hand so I would recommend growing them in either pots or an out of the way area of your yard. I know your yard is well maintained and stunning!

I am really into seeds, seedlings and sharing this year. It may be the last year I really get into this so heavily cuz the body is wearing out.....darn it! Anyway I am making a concerted effort to pass things along to others locally and I enjoy the fact that you enjoy butterfly gardening so much as well. Butterfly gardening is a "pay it forward" thing to me and I know that one day you will do the same.

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan, I have passionvines (one new one, two root pieces, and 4 planted last year that are not showing signs of life yet.) I also have three pipevines (a. tomentosa). Fennel (bronze and green), a little dill, and wild violets...and false nettle!!!!

The Cephalanthus occidentalis looks so interesting, I've never seen it.

I would love anything you want to share. :)

Lisa

P.S. your copper iris is thriving. I have it in a container sitting inside a container to keep it more moist.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Do you still have Rue? I remember the debacle last year with BST cats dying on it.

Let me think about it and will let you know about some other things you may want, okay?

Susan

• Lisa_H OK
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My rue died. However, last year it was (one) fennel that killed the cats. Good news on all the fennel though, most of what I planted last year came back, plus I've added a few. I should have two good patches of it by next year, I hope!

Lisa

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County