SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Please, does anyone know the name of this plant?

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

{{gwi:474459}}

{{gwi:474460}}

{{gwi:474461}}

It's trunk is very smooth and the flowers are weird. From the original flowers comes two more. Thanks to all

Mike

Comments (12)

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Well, I'm thinking you already know this is a Euphorbia...and not that your plant is the same, but Euphorbia francoisii blooms like that, with 2 out of 1. You might want to cruise/peruse the euphorbia.de site.

Nice looking plant! :)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Euphorbia yes, francoisii definitely not. E. francoisii forms a caudex or at least a thick stem not a thin stem. The leaves are much tighter and there is some variation between plants as shown in this picture of mine. Sorry, the picture isn't great and I just took it tonight.

{{gwi:474462}}

• gmaculata
    12 years ago

euphorbia geroldii

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Mike,

Rosemarie right that it IS Euphorbia, but I don't which either. If this is your first Euph, pls. read up on the caution about some of them & their sap. Handsome plant, very nice bracts, I find it unusual that the bracts have 2 colors (even nicer to me).

Euphorbia's style of bloom (it's actually the bract) is often unique.

Hey Biker,

Nice E. francoisii. Rosemarie's point was the similar form of flowers (2 from 1 Bract), I don't believe she said they were the same. In fact she said "and not that your plant is the same".

• aseedisapromise
    12 years ago

My Euphorbia milii does that two from one bract thing. This is no milii though.

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!

I would have to go with Euphorbia geroldii as well. Some call it Thornless Crown of Thorns. Nice cyathia! I have an E. milii cutting that does the same thing.

Christopher

• rosemariero6
    12 years ago

Nice E. francoisii, bikerdoc!! I've always wanted one! :)

Thank you, Karen for explaining what I meant. :)

Yay! I'd say E. geroldii is a winner, as gmaculata & Christopher have suggested.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

You're welcome RR, it was clear to me.

Just a quick note, pls. excuse my bad proofing above, I see looking back, I missed a word here & there; going too fast, sorry.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Nice plant, Mike! Neat looking leaves.
    Good call, Glen.

Josh

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    12 years ago

Sorry Karen. Point well taken. Didn't mean to get anyone's nose out of joint.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot everyone!

I love this plant and I can't wait to see what it does when the weather warms up. It's nice to have something like a 'crown of thorns' which I love already, with different flowers and 'NO' thorns.

It's funny, but the greenhouse I visit sometimes is more ancient than any of us around here, so every time the owner offers me a piece of something I have never seen before, I always think it is going to be something hard to find. You know, sort of like picking up an antique picture at a yard sale that is worth millions that no one knew about until you found it.

Karen:

Are you kidding? I am the King of bad proofing, because I hardly ever have the time to go back and check, let alone post these days.
    What's worst is when I do 'preview' and think it's ok after I have read it two and three times over, then send, I catch more mistakes when I come back and catch up on my last post at a later time and wonder why I didn't see it before.

By the way, you are right about the sap, it was sticky and actually burned a bit. I would never want to touch the eyes after touching that suff. Thank you for the kind comments and warning.

Ok, I had to preview this message 12 times to get everything spelled correctly and to make sense on this lousy SLOW computer. Heck, there is prolly more mistakes on my post anyway.
    25 minutes it took for this post.
    I suppose I am not alone.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Biker,

Thanks but no apology needed, no harm, no foul, etc. Sometimes we're more clear than others, sometimes not. I have many times misread something ('cause I'm going too fast), or posting on a quick break at work, or way too late at night at home, etc.

Well Mike,

It's just that I used to word process for a living so I find my own bad proofing is particularly cringe-worthy. But then, as professionals (at law firms) one rarely proofs one's own work for exactly that reason. One tends to see what one wants on the page rather than what's actually there. That's why it's best (professionally) to only proof work one did not create.

Glad you understood the caution about the Euphorbia sap. One needs to wash carefully after handling & pay particular attention to avoid the face & all mucous membranes until after thorough washing. It tends to be more relevant on things like E. trigona, lactea, & those types.

Mike, what you said about being given cuttings you've never seen before at the nursery.

I'll try to say this gently, but just cause you haven't seen a plant before, does't mean it's rare, it's just new to you. The plant world out there is so GIGANTIC, there's oodles to see.

Once I started collecting succulents & seeing more than a few, I thought I was getting to see a lot of them. Then I started visiting a friend in San Diego & he showed me plants in person that were just amazing at parks & in special places he knew including their zoo.

Turns out the San Diego Zoo w/ its famous collection of animals (made famous on Johnny Carson Show w/ the Zookeeper Joan Embry) has a botanical collection even more valuable than its animal collection; who knew. Go there in Feb. & one can see fields of Aloes blooming around certain animal areas, pretty cool.