SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onafixedincome

Scadoxus puniceus..royal paintbrush--anyone?

onafixedincome
17 years ago

Scadoxus puniceus

A gorgeous mass of stamens and pollen, I bet the bflies would love it. Per DavesGarden site, it's hardy with care in zones 8 and up.

Member of the Amaryllaceae family. Link below to Davesgarden site--not much there, sadly...

You think this might be worth a shot as a container plant in zone 8?

Here is a link that might be useful: Scadoxus puniceus

Comments (3)

• bigthicketgardens
    17 years ago

I have two of them that bloomed this year for the first time. They are really cool, but I never saw any butterfly or bee activity. Something ruffled them up one night or early morning though. I came out in the morning and I could tell something had been digging through the fat flower heads, and something had also knocked off lots of grapefruit blossoms.

Grapefruit trees are the sweetest most heavenly fragrance, better than the other citrus I have thus far smelled. Budha's hand is good too, but not as powerful as the grapefruit. My S. puniceus were fragrant, but it was subtle, not sweet or anything, just sort of polleny, I guess.

• bigthicketgardens
    17 years ago

I keep mine in containers, but they grow in the ground in Houston. It seems like I saw bumble bees on them at the nursery right before I bought them. They're definetly cool plants, but they were pretty much bust as far as a nectar source from what I saw this year.

• onafixedincome
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Probably just as well; apparently they are highly poisonous in all parts and times of year. :( At least to mammals, don't know about bflies and birds and bees....

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus