SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

GW Brugmansia Covention

rosepedal
15 years ago

Okay now is the time to come out and say you are intersted. Dont make me come get you...LOL... Who would be interested in meeting in person and talking brugs (and other plants) Al and I looked up the middle we think it is Nebraska but we can change it. Come on brug lovers....LOL

Comments (31)

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crap I spelled it wrong too...LOL Can some one bring me a dictionary...

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

I'd love to, wish you were closer. Mapquest says it's this far from my house to the state line:
    Estimated Driving Time: 13 hours 28 minutes
    Estimated Distance: 802.69 miles

Actually it wouldn't be too bad if someone else was sharing the drive. I have a van, who want to drive???

Linda

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Local trade Madison wi brugmansia , clivia

Q

Comments (2)
    I just joined so your post is new to me but i realize you may not still have these . Is your clivia an orange one ? I don't have any plants to trade but I have been dying to find a local orange clivia like my mom had. Only one of us could take it when she passed and it hasn't had babies nor been big enough to divide yet. I have some large pots I could trade or I could buy the divide from you if you still have it. I'm new here so I don't know if only trading is allowed.
    ...See More

Swiss cheese brugmansia???????

Q

Comments (3)
    Orthonex-systemic, spray on the leaves, works great, do not spray on food crops, every 7 to 10 days until gone BT-bacteria, spray on the leaves, works great, spray on anything infested, every 4 days until gone With any of them, I hand pick the little buggers of and squish them 1st, then spray.
    ...See More

Wanted Brugmansia's

Q

Comments (5)
    Jerry maybe to make sure no one will give you bad reviews is to send your part of the trade out first??? You just never know who you are trading with will be happy and keep their end of the deal. You are right. Many here have been hurt a lot. Money wise and feelings. We all know who we can trust and trade with here and so far I have never been taken for a fool. You do have a lot of great things I would love to add...so just wait and offer to send yours out first...and you will see that you will get a few great brugs. Lucy
    ...See More

Local trade Madison area --brugmansia, clivia

Q

Comments (1)
    I am in Verona. Unfortunately I have nothing to trade, but wondering if you would consider selling your peach brug? I will have some basjoo banana pups later in the summer....but not right now. I also have cannas, several varieties.
    ...See More
  • rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Linda,

We tried to pick the middle of the Unied States to make it easy. I think that is a wonderful idea driving together. LOL that much funner..

I can see you and Karyn from the east coast Driving together you will be stopping at all the nurseys. LOL .

I think Karma needs to be our guest speaker!!!! Karyn can be our hostess with the mostess lol...Come on Karyn and Karma...Dont make me beg.....

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Wow, that'd be over 1200 miles for me. I still havn't gotten to meet Brenda or Mark and they're only about 2 hours away. Suzie and Eddie are 4-5 hours from here and I'm sure I'll be up twards Winston-Salem in the spring so hoping to get to meet them this year too. Ya'll make sure and take lots of pics at your convention!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    15 years ago

1176 miles - Driving time is 19 hours, 4 minutes

Where in Nebraska?

Actually, might make it depending on the location. I have a friend who visits her son and his family in Nebraska fairly often. We might drive up together!!!!

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

rosepedal, I'm at a lost for words here! First, the gang wanted me to go up to the gathering by Seattle and no way could I go. Secondly, I'm from Nebraska and do you honestly know what is there? LOL I have relative there and if you could book the 'Big Red' stadium maybe it's worth the trip? Third, ya know going to NE during the summer it's hot and to leave the babies, well it's not wise that time of year. Nor do you want to go to the midwest during the winter time? Honestly, I like Portland OR, myself but again I wouldn't ask everyone to come out here? I thing doing this with each others states to get together is great that way it's good to know the folks that live in your area and knowing what they do. Again thank you, I'm flattered and everyone can see what I do without a convention.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I think it would be great fun, its just too far away for me. I can dream though right?

• knotz
    15 years ago

Sorry...I'm with Karma since we live close to each other...It's just too far...Wonderful idea though!!

knotz

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

If we have to go a long way can it be someplace warm and with a beach, lol. I don't even know where Nebraska is, lol. Thats sad to admit. That means its really far away. I think Colorado was 17 hours away. That was a couple years ago so I don't know if John can still drive that far or not, lol. Hey, lets go to Vegas. Our fishing friend just sent his wife and mother and it was only $300 for them both to fly there and the hotel was included. I'd do that.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

kristy, now your talking Vegas!!!! I think that is even futher than Nebraska for me, but can always catch a cheap red eye. Or we can all go invade on the folks in sunny Florida, go see Mickey!! Nebraska state line is 840 miles for me.

Mary

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Well I figure Vegas and a hotel would actually be cheaper than most places to fly to and you get a free hotel room with the deal. Have to check and see how much FLorida is we can camp out in Bob's backyard, lol.

• tropicgirl
    15 years ago

Count me in, I would love to meet everyone. I just went to Mapquest and used Lincoln, NE to get an idea how far it would be (not saying that Lincoln should be the city) and it is approximately 650 miles or 10 hrs for me. That's do able. I know a few of us only live a couple hours apart and if we car pool, that would make gas a minimal charge. I may be able to borrow my son's RV. However, I've driven that route (Texas to Neb.) and not much to see. Lots of corn fields. Guess it depends where you are coming from. It's straight north from me.
    If I had a large backyard I would invite everyone here for a Texas bar-b-que. Wonder how many people we are talking about? I live close to a lake (one mile) we could rent a pavilion there to have a cookout.

Kristy is on the right track, there are always special packages for a Vegas weekend.
    Hey, I don't mind pitching a tent poolside in Bob's backyard. lol

I think the hardest decision would be when to have it.

It really would be nice to meet everyone. I'm sure between all of us we could come up with a plan. I'm game.

Deb

• threas
    15 years ago

I would love to meet everyone too! I've still got kids at home and other expenses. My route to Nebraska is 1500 miles, 24 hrs.!!!

Theresa

• karyn1
    15 years ago

If I didn't have 3 kids at home I'd fly out but with my 3 and Nebraska being about 1000 miles away it's just not doable. If it was somewhere closer that I could just do an overnight that would work.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

For me it is all about timing mostly. Did you think about the TIME you want to do it? Karma is right. There is no way I can leave during the summer. Especially when my 2 grandsons come to stay with us for 2 month.
    This is such a huge thing, it probably takes as long to organize it as a 10 year reunion lol
    For me it would be so great just to meet all the folks from TX as a starter. Maybe people in Florida when I visit my daughter one day. Or PA when seeing the other daughter. Now you all know by that time I will have met quit a lot of you :-)
    I know we ALL want to meet each other in person. But in reality the only way that financially it is possible for all to come if we win the lottery or find a sponsor!

Lucy

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

{{gwi:452458}}

Just An Idea:

We could all meet on Galveston (many hotels...) and help beachplant with her yard! She is a long time GW poster that is in need of help! We could all bring plants with us and help her. I haven't seen her post for a while, but here is one of her last posts:

Ike really took a toll on my angels. I don't have anything to exchange but I can certainly pay for postage. If anyone is cutting back theirs for the winter I would love to have any and all. Approx. 80-90% of the brugs in the yard did not survive. It didn't matter if they were in pots, in the ground, old plants or new cuttings, they didn't like the 4' of salt water or the tree falling on them.
    Thanks tons!
    Tally HO!

-------------------------------

What do you think? Has anyone heard from her?

~Mary Jane

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

I certainly would try to make it, but it depends on the time. It would have to be when my DD or SIL are off work as I watch my 2 y.o. GD.

To Nebraska, but I would never attempt to drive it: 22 hours 5 minutes Estimated Distance: 1505.90 miles

To Las Vegas: 4 hours 22 minutes Estimated Distance: 275.70 miles

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Eloise don't you want to take a little drive to DC? lol It's only about 2300 miles.

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

LOL Karyn, that would be some drive! BTW, been to DC, stayed in Annapolis with friends for two weeks and then we did as many public and private gardens in like five states! But, I flew there, and they now live here.

• jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

Id love to. BUT' not finacally able right now. with 2 kids and a broke down MH, there is no way. Very swet idea. I have been thinking of haveing a local plant swap this spring here. Brandy

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am bound and determined to meet some of you this summer. How? I have no idea but Al said I could. LOL There are no brug lovers in WI...So getting together with someone in my state is out. Boo hoo

• karmahappytoes
    15 years ago

rosepedal, First Happy Birthday and it's a great idea but as my DH will tell you, to get someone to do the work here
    so I could take off well it's not going to happen. I also got reminded this is the year I have promised a garden club to come visit and well I have a couple wanting to get married here late in the season. HELP! Ya know we all could do the web cam route, much cheaper!!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

It took a while for me to find brug lovers in this area. Most of the nurseries had no idea what they were and to this day the only place that I've seen them at is the nursery I supply. lol There's supposed to be one near the Eastern Shore but I always forget to look for it when I'm on my way to the beach.

Eloise I'll drive to FL and Canada but I've always flown to CA and even that takes 5 or 6 hours! I wish I could afford 1st class but I'm always in coach and feel like I'm in a cattle car. I hate long flights.

• chena
    15 years ago

AWWW! Sounds like fun..BUT life is to unpredicable right now..and come Summer having plants and beating the heat here is a challenge just to keep watered.. BUT I do have a big backyard...if you don't mind cows...LOL
    SW Airlines has 49~99$ flights right now ..I could do that..Maybe I will see where they fly to and just drop in on a few of ya...hahaha!!!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

SW flies into BWI. That's only about 30 minutes from me! I have a guest room.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Yep, I'm with Kylie I would probably have to fly and it would have to be somewhere with a cheap flight. We are going to Hawaii in March for a family reunion and hubby wants to go to Vegas this year as well so that will be about it for me with trips for the year probably unless I could do it really cheap.

• carol57078
    15 years ago

Sound great from this end, Omaha is a three hour drive from Yankton. lol
    Carol

• tropicgirl
    15 years ago

I like the Galveston idea too and we can help a fellow GW. I know that regardless of location or date, some of us wouldn't be able to attend. But if this became a yearly thing we would all eventually get to meet. I guess I'm lucky because I live fairly centrally in the country so I would be able to drive many places but would probably put a limit of a 12 hour drive and then I would start looking into flying.

I'm only a couple hours away from Lucy's but it took us months to finally meet and even though it was for a very short visit, we had a blast. I know all of us would have a blast meeting each other.

This would be like planning a reunion and I would help as much as I could from my location. Lets see if we can give this a whirl.

Deb

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I am in if someone wants to organize it....We just need somewhere to meet....

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

If we are driving somewhere I'll have to catch a ride with Kylie. Can't make it past her house, lol.

• chena
    15 years ago

OOOO Karyn I am checking flights as we speak...!!!
    Kristy I think everyone should stop at my house...LOL
    I can put ya up and feed ya...Somewhere~somehow.. Hubby is a Great Cook!!!