SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

U.S. Pollinator Stamps; Fat SE Arkansas Monarchs and More News

susanlynne48
17 years ago

You guys have gotta read the latest Monarch Watch update. Well, it's actually for October, but they've just now posted it on the Monarch Watch Updates.

With the decline acknowledged by the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC), the U.S. Postal Service, out of the 50,000+ suggestions they receive each year for postage stamps, has chosen to issue pollinator stamps during National Pollinator Week, June 24-30, 2007. They are beautiful stamps, with each stamp containing two Morrison's bumble bees, calliope hummingbird, lesser long-nosed bat, and southern dogface butterfly! I must get some stamps when they are issued.

Also of interest is a new design for a breeder cage, and the massive migration of Monarchs through SE Arkansas this year (100-160,000 roosting in one spot). I found it interesting that these Monarchs, nectaring on solidago canadensis (1,000 acres), were among the fattest found to date, weighing in at a hefty .7-.9 grams. They all were medium to large Monarchs, and none found were of a smaller size. All of the land is CRP-land (conservation set-aside, I assume the acronym stands for conservation restoration and preservation altho the article does not say. This land lies just across a river and 20 miles north of Greensville, Mississippi. Might be interesting to take a trip there next year to see if they come again.

I hope you enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Madness

Comments (4)

Sponsored