SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

How do you identify plants that you collect seeds from?

bettylu_zone6a
14 years ago

OK,

I confess... I have "harvested" ripe seed heads from the funeral home flower bed - Maybe I shouldn't have, but I know that they are going to rip them all out shortly and I couldn't resist at least trying to propagate more of the few beautiful plants that were still blooming! Should I feel guilty (??) instead of thrilled at my find! LOL

I have searched the Missouri Botanical Garden plant finder, I have googled, I have RACKED my BRAIN trying to figure out how to identify what I THOUGHT was a variety of coneflower (and may still be a coneflower, but one not common, apparently). How do YOU try to figure out what you have found? Or, do you just not worry about it, as long as you love the plant?

By the way, this "coneflower" is bright pink and the main flower stem has sort of a double head, with tiny little brighter pink petals where the usual prickly center would be. The secondary flowers lower on the stalk (at least the ones that were still blooming) looked like normal coneflowers, although the center seed head is not prickly and hard like a coneflower. Any ideas?

If you have any websites that are good or an approach that doesn't require you to know the name of what you are looking for would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BettyLu in St. Louis

Comments (7)

Sponsored