SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Tiger Swallowtail Egg from Yellow Female

MissSherry
12 years ago

I wandered the woods today checking out the things that need to be done - it's overwhelming! - and saw a yellow female tiger swallowtail flitting around some foliage. I stopped and watched as she laid an egg on what turned out to be a small wild black cherry tree. There are cherry trees of various sizes all over the woods, so there's no telling how many eggs she might have laid.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the daughters of black female tigers are black and the daughter's of yellow tigers are yellow, but I can't remember if it said they were exclusively that way or just mostly. If female tigers are ONLY the color of their mother, then if this egg is a female, I'd have a yellow female. I can't remember ever raising a yellow female, just males and black females. So I'll probably watch this egg, and bring it in to raise in a few days. Tiger eggs are so hard to see!

{{gwi:456959}}

Here's a close-up -

{{gwi:456960}}

I brought in four red admiral cats in their cute little nests to raise, so I'm gradually increasing my "work load" - what a great problem!

Sherry

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm