SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Plantain

caterwallin
17 years ago

Is it only the narrow-leaf plantain that Buckeyes, Baltimore Checkerspots, and Painted Ladies like? I'm not sure, but I think we might have both kinds growing in our yard, although I thought a neighbor once called the narrow-leaf plantain by something else...I think buckhorn? I think. Is that the same thing, or is it a totally different plant? Now I hate the our yard has weeds in it in a way because if a butterflies lays eggs on plants we have in the yard, I guess we're killing the egg/cats when we mow. Aren't we? I wouldn't imagine that they'd know enough not to oviposit in the lawn and to go somewhere that doesn't get mown. So what do you all do, just make a separate "flower" bed for plantain?

Another thing I'm wondering is where to plant all the plants that I'll have coming up from seed. I thought rather than dig up our whole backyard (and I'm not going to weed all of that!), I might put some across the road from us in a weed patch. I don't know if that's a good idea or not because since the road is between here and there, I'm wondering how many butterflies would get hit by cars going back and forth from the flowers in our backyard to the ones over there. If I would put plants over there, it would probably be a monumental task getting rid of the weeds. I wouldn't know the first thing about doing that. Another thing I was thinking was that I might kill things that are actually nectar or host plants for some types of butterflies. So I'm not sure which is better, planting plants in our backyard where the deer might eat them (maybe not if we plant everything down close to the house, but then I kind of would rather have lawn there) or plant them across the road and taking a chance of butterflies getting hit by the cars. I know, I'm probably worrying too much about butterflies when there are people out there who are perfectly fine not giving them a second thought.

Does anyone here have crown vetch? Is it a host plant for anything? It's pretty when it's blooming and really smells good, but I'm wondering if it's going to choke out everything else in the weed patch. That's a good thing for someone who's not into butterflies, but if I plant butterfly nectar and host plants over there and don't get rid of the crown vetch, I'm afraid that it would eventually take over the whole thing and all my planting would have been in vain. I didn't plant the crown vetch. It apparently was in with ground that people dumped there when we had a sign up asking for fill (there was a steep bank over there and we have since leveled it off).

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville