SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Questions about fall sowing trees

seedmama
15 years ago

I find myself paralyzed with fear. I've been talking about doing this for three weeks and still haven't started. Here are some of my specific concerns.

1. Should I use container covers initially? In winter sowing we take covers off about the time spring temps are approaching fall's current temps to keep things from baking. Will I bake my seeds if I put even well ventilated tops on now?

2. Assuming some of my trees sprout before winter, and some should, would I put the container covers on them for winter? It would protect them from deer and squirrels, but would it be too much babying from the elements? Do my sprouts need tough love?

3. Assuming some seeds won't sprout until next spring when they've had warm-cold-warm, I think I should put covers on the unsprouted containers. Referring back to number one, at what temperature should I do this?

4. I think HOS might not be the best option for trees. It seems I should sow them in individual containers and upsize the containers for a few years until the trees are well established. Convince me this is unenlightened thinking. Or unnecessary fear. I have seven deer, and a countless entourage of armadillos, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, dogs and who knows what else to contend with.

Philmont, I'm counting on your input. TIA!

Seedmama

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!