SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Cat trading?

caterwallin
17 years ago

Does anyone on here ever trade cats with someone else? Like say I would have an abundance of Monarch cats here and someone on here doesn't have any at their place, would it be alright for me to trade cats with them as long as they'd be indigenous to that person's area? I'm going to try for at least 16 different kinds of cats by next year...I'd say this year, but I don't supposed the perennials get big enough the first year) but can't be assured of them showing up here, and maybe someone else would have some there at their place that I'm looking for and we could make a trade. Is there anything wrong with this? Of course, I guess we all understand here that the person getting the cats must have its host plants at his/her place...otherwise the cats would die.

For the most part, do cats usually not go to the host plants until the second year because of the small size of the plants the first year? I was pleasantly surprised last year that my butterfly weed got a nice size (not huge but about a foot high) and I had cats on the plants. I planted swamp milkweed seeds last fall and am hoping that they get big enough this year to get cats on them, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. If I plant saplings or seeds of trees (e.g. Paw Paw, Sassafras), I hope I don't croak before they're big enough that the cats would want to go on them. lol Not that I'm old and decrepit, but I'm not young either and I just hope that I can get to enjoy the butterflies for some years yet. Okay, I'll get off the morbid subject of croaking now.

If you ever do trade cats, do you wait a few years to see if they will just naturally find you and then if they don't, is that when you ask someone about trading? I guess I'm just thinking that here I am planting all these plants, and there's always the chance that those particular kinds of butterflies won't find me anyway even if they are indigenous to my state. Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if anyone would want to trade for Monarch cats since they migrate and I *guess* that the future generations might not necessarily find that same person's place the next spring. In contrast, almost all of the other species of butterflies don't migrate. Actually, I'm not familiar with any besides the Monarch that migrates.

I'm really looking forward to this year and seeing all the familiar butterflies being here again and also hopefully getting a few new ones. I raised 70 Monarch cats last year. I wonder if my population will double this year? Am I the only one who feels like she finds buried treasure when I spot cats on the plants? I am absolutely thrilled whenever I find one! :-)

Comments (14)

Sponsored