SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mechele211

Need some advice on overwintering

mechele211
14 years ago

Procrastination is nothing new to me...it is a finely honed skill. But in the past the wintersown babies that I have failed to plant out in a timely manner were spared from being overwintered by being struck down by late summer drought and my lack of watering. However this year we were blessed with plenty of rain so the little guys made it through. Now I need advice on the best way to get them through til spring...I'll plant them then...I promise.

I have several lilacs, beauty bushes, and butterfly bushes in 4" pots. Should I try to keep them in the small pots and give them some type of protection or would they maybe be better off in larger containers? I have plenty of large pots but really don't want to have to buy potting soil at the moment plus if they are in larger containers it means larger holes to dig in the spring.

I have a jug with echinacea that remained very small due to not being planted out. I think they will probably be fine just to leave in the jug. I also have a jug with sweet autumn clematis that was planted in Jan. or Feb. and just started germinating in August. The first sprouts have one set of leaves and there are still new ones sprouting. I think they will be ok in the jug as well but would like to hear someone else's experience on this. Then there's the 2 kinds of butterfly weed that looks so sad at the moment I'm not sure what to do with them except apologize to them.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Mechele

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES